X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you say is the best reasonably reputable priced kilt maker in the UK?

So there is Kinloch Anderson but I cannot afford, I can think of some others but are still out of my price range, I’m curious why kilt kulture is so big across the pond yet practically non-existent here, there is no UK Kilts (or UKilts) I’ve never even seen a kilt for sale in a charity shop.

Used to be a local kilt maker but he vanished off the face of the earth, possibly even passed, before I had a chance to buy a kilt off him.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    So there is Kinloch Anderson but I cannot afford, I can think of some others but are still out of my price range, I’m curious why kilt kulture is so big across the pond yet practically non-existent here, there is no UK Kilts (or UKilts) I’ve never even seen a kilt for sale in a charity shop.

Used to be a local kilt maker but he vanished off the face of the earth, possibly even passed, before I had a chance to buy a kilt off him.
    The kilt culture is indeed very different between one side of the Atlantic and the other and after many years on this website I do still find the trans-Atlantic kilt culture difficult to comprehend.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really am surprised to see this...

Where are you based?

The internet seems to throw up a huge selection of kiltmakers, and a good many of them are here in Scotland. And my local charity shops here in NE Scotland seem to have a fairly regular supply - but you have to be willing to take what's on offer. They can go for as little as £5, but most people know quality when they see it, and a good kilt in heavyweight cloth by a good maker will be about ten times that.

If you are wanting a kilt in a specific tartan and cloth weight, and it's not one of the military tartans (Mackenzie, Gordon, etc) it is most likely you will have to have one specially made.

The bulk of the cost of a kilt is in the amount of cloth used - at now more than £60 per yard, you can work out what the base cost will be - but you pay for the skill and the time of the kiltmaker, and you only get what you pay for.

Ebay.uk seems to have plenty on offer, but the likes of Ministry of Tartan (www.ministryoftartan.com) offers an ever-changing selection of new and ex-hire kilts along with sporrans and other items.

Kilting culture in North America is a relatively new movement, and there seems to be much stricter 'rules' and categories observed than ever there was, or is, here in the old country where habits, styles, fashions and what are accepted as traditions are much more relaxed if they exist at all.

There is an abundance of retailers on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, offering 'tartan tat' to tourists who know no better, but a good kiltmaker with skill and experience is easy to find - but you really need to look north of the border to find them.

Have a look at McCalls Highlandwear or St Kilda Store (Gaelic Themes) websites, as they are both manufacturers and retailers. Kinloch Anderson are excellent, but there is a price premium attached to their name and brand.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 18th March 24 at 04:19 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two kilts by "Braw Kilts" (Cathy Hope) in Edinburgh.

Having her make a kilt is less expensive, even given to post to the USA, than any maker I've seen here.

The great thing about being in Scotland is that you have charity shops and around January the Hire Shops will have sales.

A band-mate lived in Glasgow for four years and came back with several Highland Dress items that he got for a few pounds at charity shops.

Not only the usual things, he also got a magnificent Harris Tweed Inverness cape, and a pair of trews in his family tartan.

About the kilt hire shop sales, I've never been in Scotland at the right time of year but many people have told me that it's not difficult to pick up kilt jackets and kilts, though the range of tartans will be limited.

What's in fashion for wedding hire comes and goes. Everyone will want purple tartans and all the hire shops will have loads of those to hire. But then a couple years later everyone will want grey tartans and you can pick up ex-hire purple tartan kilts cheaply. It's all about timing.

About "rules" everybody choses their clothes from a narrow range chosen from the vast realm of clothing possibilities that exist- a gent is unlikely to show up at a business meeting wearing a Kimono and riding boots.

That gent isn't following a prescribed set of "fashion rules" until somebody else recognises and verbalises what his narrow range of choices consists of.

Native English speakers are often heard to claim that "English has no rules" yet would never say

"Will you be go to the shop?"

or

"Will you going to the shop?"

The fact that they're not aware of the be+ing rule doesn't make them follow it any less, nor make them any less aware when they hear somebody break the rule.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th March 24 at 07:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    ---------------

Kilting culture in North America is a relatively new movement, and there seems to be much stricter 'rules' and categories observed than ever there was, or is, here in the old country where habits, styles, fashions and what are accepted as traditions are much more relaxed if they exist at all.

-----------
    I am afraid those new to kilt attire particularly outwith the "Old Country" do appear to make heavy weather of their assorted kilt attire choices. I fear this is down to poor advice and example from the kilt hire industry, misleading internet pictures and lack of courage and confidence to listen to those from the home of kilt attire, who I am afraid, can't necessarily be relied upon to give accurate advice either! Particularly so, because if they listen to those who really know about kilt attire they will stand out like a sore thumb amongst the multitude of kilt attire wearers who are wearing their kilt attire incorrectly.

Sorry chaps, its true. I see and read it all the time on this website.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th March 24 at 08:09 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    *snip* ... if they listen to those who really know about kilt attire they will stand out like a sore thumb amongst the multitude of kilt attire wearers who are wearing their kilt attire incorrectly.*snip*
    Aye - that's one of the greatest problems here if not THE greatest. To fit in, one dresses incorrectly - usually overdressed.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Having her make a kilt is less expensive, even given to post to the USA, than any maker I've seen here.

The great thing about being in Scotland is that you have charity shops and around January the Hire Shops will have sales.

A band-mate lived in Glasgow for four years and came back with several Highland Dress items that he got for a few pounds at charity shops.

Not only the usual things, he also got a magnificent Harris Tweed Inverness cape, and a pair of trews in his family tartan.

About the kilt hire shop sales, I've never been in Scotland at the right time of year but many people have told me that it's not difficult to pick up kilt jackets and kilts, though the range of tartans will be limited.

What's in fashion for wedding hire comes and goes. Everyone will want purple tartans and all the hire shops will have loads of those to hire. But then a couple years later everyone will want grey tartans and you can pick up ex-hire purple tartan kilts cheaply. It's all about timing.

About "rules" everybody choses their clothes from a narrow range chosen from the vast realm of clothing possibilities that exist- a gent is unlikely to show up at a business meeting wearing a Kimono and riding boots.

That gent isn't following a prescribed set of "fashion rules" until somebody else recognises and verbalises what his narrow range of choices consists of.

Native English speakers are often heard to claim that "English has no rules" yet would never say

"Will you be go to the shop?"

or

"Will you going to the shop?"

The fact that they're not aware of the be+ing rule doesn't make them follow it any less, nor make them any less aware when they hear somebody break the rule.
    Down here it’s all just old peoples lamps, and fast fashion, seems I should move up north… my sis used to live up north, not near Scotland but she found me authentic Victorian pocket watches and all sorts of good stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you say is the best reasonably reputable priced kilt maker in the UK?
    How about going with a tartan mill like Lochcarron? I'm thinking that it would be practical to have a kilt maker in the same location as the mill that provides the cloth so that the cloth doesn't get shipped twice.(once to the maker and then once to you when the finished product is made) that way you dont have to pay for the kilt and twice the shipping.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

A second vote for Cathy. I'm very fond of the one she made for me.