X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiences with Tweed Fashion Kilt

It seems not possible to get a Barbour Classic Tartan Kilt and I'm not shure about the Rampant Lion Kilt anymore.

I'm thinking about ordering a Tweed Fashion Kilt as seen at kitlstore*. Who has experiences with Tweed Fashion Kilt? How about qualities and long term usage? Any hints wellcome.

Wolfgang

*) http://kiltstore.net/sr_swhdr_grey_t...l?image=items1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems not possible to get a Barbour Classic Tartan Kilt and I'm not shure about the Rampant Lion Kilt anymore.

I'm thinking about ordering a Tweed Fashion Kilt as seen at kitlstore*. Who has experiences with Tweed Fashion Kilt? How about qualities and long term usage? Any hints wellcome.

Wolfgang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolfgang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two things to consider:
    1). the material being used
    2). the kiltmaker and company

The tweed is a GREAT way to go! Very "Prince Charles-ish". When you look at the weight of the material, it will be sturdy enough to maintain a traditional sew-up, and thick enough to hold its form. The material itself will serve you well for quite a long time... with careful maintenance. Unlike some of the real thin crud that's going around, this material will take a beating and still look great.

As for the company, they are wonderful. I could not imagine anything but a top-notch kilt coming out of them. Experience speaks for this point.

All in all, I would have absolutely NO reservations in purchasing one!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tweed is a GREAT way to go! Very "Prince Charles-ish". When you look at the weight of the material, it will be sturdy enough to maintain a traditional sew-up, and thick enough to hold its form. The material itself will serve you well for quite a long time... with careful maintenance. Unlike some of the real thin crud that's going around, this material will take a beating and still look great.

As for the company, they are wonderful. I could not imagine anything but a top-notch kilt coming out of them. Experience speaks for this point.

Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arise. Kill. Eat.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wolfgang,

Firstly, I would point out that you appear to have accessed the KiltStore website by an 'outside' route. If you use the link at the top of every "X Marks the Scot" page, you will find that you receive an additional discount in the price!!

Tweed kilts are marvellous! I have a green kilt suit in tweed from "TFCK" which is very comfortably warm in our European winters. I do not, as yet, have one of the KiltStore tweed kilts, but I love the colours they offer!

Much depends upon the weight of the fabric, just as with tartan, but at the 13oz they list, I'd say you can expect to have an excellent year-round kilt, although you might find the tweed to be just a little too warm in our very hottest summer weather.

A criticism that I have heard from a number of other tweed kilt wearers is that the fabric can be a little harsh, or abrasive, on the skin. Two burly chaps, who are regular kilt wearers and who live in different parts of Scotland, (dare I say this, I wonder ) have had their wives buy nylon slips for them to wear under the kilts!! I hasten to add that I have not personally felt the need for taking such a measure, although I would not rule it out if I began to experience any problems. I imagine, however, that one would not feel the swing o' the pleats as effectively with a layer of nylon down there!

Why not request a sample swatch from KiltStore before you order? That way you would get to assess the fabric in advance. They are very good at supplying swatches.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wolfgang,

Firstly, I would point out that you appear to have accessed the KiltStore website by an 'outside' route. If you use the link at the top of every "X Marks the Scot" page, you will find that you receive an additional discount in the price!!

Tweed kilts are marvellous! I have a green kilt suit in tweed from "TFCK" which is very comfortably warm in our European winters. I do not, as yet, have one of the KiltStore tweed kilts, but I love the colours they offer!

Much depends upon the weight of the fabric, just as with tartan, but at the 13oz they list, I'd say you can expect to have an excellent year-round kilt, although you might find the tweed to be just a little too warm in our very hottest summer weather.

A criticism that I have heard from a number of other tweed kilt wearers is that the fabric can be a little harsh, or abrasive, on the skin. Two burly chaps, who are regular kilt wearers and who live in different parts of Scotland, (dare I say this, I wonder ) have had their wives buy nylon slips for them to wear under the kilts!! I hasten to add that I have not personally felt the need for taking such a measure, although I would not rule it out if I began to experience any problems. I imagine, however, that one would not feel the swing o' the pleats as effectively with a layer of nylon down there!

Why not request a sample swatch from KiltStore before you order? That way you would get to assess the fabric in advance. They are very good at supplying swatches.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wolfgang,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking up on the previous post, tweed was made for the worst of the British weather and being out in it all day-think rain and more rain and cold: so it was and is a very rough and tough material. In consequence even the lighter tweeds retain some of that quality, unless going for one of the look alike weaves.

So as said it is well worth having a look and FEEL of the material before buying. Otherwise you can end up with something that feels like the old British battledress next to your skin. So I can well understand the chaps wearing a traditional tweed kilt feeling the need for a slip--of course there is a joke in that, because they are possibly nearer than most to the getting the effect of the very long tailed highland shirt: which offered both underwear and protection against the rough material of the kilt.

On this the more antique amongst us will recall that a normal man's shirt of say forty years ago had long tails front and back, often reaching as far down as mid thigh: so as mentioned filling both the role of underwear and a certain protection against the rough material of some traditional kilts.

James

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast