X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t seem to do it up

My kilt come but when i tried to put it on, I couldn’t bring the front apron around to my right side where the straps button, I can sort of wear it but it doesn’t hang right and the slit is wide open and in the wrong place.

This was the largest size they had, is it just too small? Or am I doing something wrong? No one in the family wants it, so I’m stuck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post some pictures of the kilt and you wearing it? We might be able to see if something is wrong or not.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    My kilt come but when i tried to put it on, I couldn’t bring the front apron around to my right side where the straps button, I can sort of wear it but it doesn’t hang right and the slit is wide open and in the wrong place.

This was the largest size they had, is it just too small? Or am I doing something wrong? No one in the family wants it, so I’m stuck with it.
    Have you bought a ready-made kilt, or is it one you have commissioned and had made to measure? And has it bee bought from a retail shop?

Either way, if you have bought from within the UK, you have certain consumer rights, one of which is to return the kilt to the seller if an item is not fit for purpose - and being unwearable through being the wrong size falls into this category.

The simpest solution is to return the kilt and ask for a refund or an exchange if a more suitable size is unavailable. You should have no bother with this at all.

The thing to remember with the fit and wearing of the kilt, is that it is worn much higher on the body than trousers (certainly now, with the current fashion of wearing trousers worn very low on the hipbones) with the top edge of the kilt being a bit higher than the level of the navel.

The result of this is a discrepancy in sizing. If, for example you know you normally take a, say, 36inch waist in Levi's jeans, it is a mistake to order a kilt with a 36inch fit. The jeans may actually measure quite a lot more around the waistband than the label suggests, but the fit of the kilt is exactly your actual waist measurement.

There are different preferences for sizing a kilt, but it is intended to be a tight, close fit where the buckles and straps are located. A good self-measure guide for at home, is to fasten a belt around your natural waist (at navel level) so that it is level and parallel to the floor, and take this measurement to give your corect kilt-waist size.

The length of the kilt's fastening straps allows for a few inches (three to four normally) of adjustment, but the fringed right-hand edge of the front apron should at least meet the first pleat at the right, or cover the first two or three pleats when on minimum size fastening. Kiltmakers will have differing views on this, however.

If you are unused to kilt-wearing, the length of the kilt from waist to knee is an important factor, and getting a kilt too short for wearing in the conventional way is a common problem. Many ready-to-wear budget-priced kilts are styled and made to be worn slung low, like trousers, but a quality-made kilt will usually be around 24inches long - often longer.

If you have the option, a visit to a kilt-hire outlet to try a few different sizes is a good idea, but going to a kilt-maker to be measured properly is best. In Scotland this is an easy task, and, in England, most of the quality gents' outfitters offer a hire service which includes Highland dress - there are a surprising number to be found.

But don't give up on the kilt. Once you have discovered your correct size and fit, there is nothing like it for comfort and ease of movement.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Have you bought a ready-made kilt, or is it one you have commissioned and had made to measure? And has it bee bought from a retail shop?

Either way, if you have bought from within the UK, you have certain consumer rights, one of which is to return the kilt to the seller if an item is not fit for purpose - and being unwearable through being the wrong size falls into this category.

The simpest solution is to return the kilt and ask for a refund or an exchange if a more suitable size is unavailable. You should have no bother with this at all.

The thing to remember with the fit and wearing of the kilt, is that it is worn much higher on the body than trousers (certainly now, with the current fashion of wearing trousers worn very low on the hipbones) with the top edge of the kilt being a bit higher than the level of the navel.

The result of this is a discrepancy in sizing. If, for example you know you normally take a, say, 36inch waist in Levi's jeans, it is a mistake to order a kilt with a 36inch fit. The jeans may actually measure quite a lot more around the waistband than the label suggests, but the fit of the kilt is exactly your actual waist measurement.

There are different preferences for sizing a kilt, but it is intended to be a tight, close fit where the buckles and straps are located. A good self-measure guide for at home, is to fasten a belt around your natural waist (at navel level) so that it is level and parallel to the floor, and take this measurement to give your corect kilt-waist size.

The length of the kilt's fastening straps allows for a few inches (three to four normally) of adjustment, but the fringed right-hand edge of the front apron should at least meet the first pleat at the right, or cover the first two or three pleats when on minimum size fastening. Kiltmakers will have differing views on this, however.

If you are unused to kilt-wearing, the length of the kilt from waist to knee is an important factor, and getting a kilt too short for wearing in the conventional way is a common problem. Many ready-to-wear budget-priced kilts are styled and made to be worn slung low, like trousers, but a quality-made kilt will usually be around 24inches long - often longer.

If you have the option, a visit to a kilt-hire outlet to try a few different sizes is a good idea, but going to a kilt-maker to be measured properly is best. In Scotland this is an easy task, and, in England, most of the quality gents' outfitters offer a hire service which includes Highland dress - there are a surprising number to be found.

But don't give up on the kilt. Once you have discovered your correct size and fit, there is nothing like it for comfort and ease of movement.

It’s ready made and was the largest size they had, I don’t really feel like going to the hassle of returning such a cheap kilt, it was imported too, I won’t say where.

Thanks for the advice, I was wearing it just above my navel and over my trousers, I could not get it done up more then half way so the edge meets the right side, I managed to do one strap but it was so tight I feared it could cause me a hernia.

It definitely felt longer then it should be, either kilts feel longer when your wearing them or I was wearing it too low?

It also doesn’t help I’m quite out of shape and where the kilt is meant to fit is where I’m widest.

Unfortunately I cannot post any pictures due to image attachments not working on iOS.

Finally I’d love to visit a kilt maker but it is not an option at the moment, even then the only kilt maker I knew vanished.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were able to do it up, even though it was too tight, you should be able to move the strap on the one side and the buckle on the other for a couple of extra inches.

Do a quick search here for instructions and discussion of moving straps. The one thing I would say, is to be sure to sew all the way through all layers when you re-attach. That is critically important.

I'm neither a tailor nor a kilt-maker, but I've done it many times for my own and other kilts with good success.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    If you were able to do it up, even though it was too tight, you should be able to move the strap on the one side and the buckle on the other for a couple of extra inches.

Do a quick search here for instructions and discussion of moving straps. The one thing I would say, is to be sure to sew all the way through all layers when you re-attach. That is critically important.

I'm neither a tailor nor a kilt-maker, but I've done it many times for my own and other kilts with good success.
    Thanks but this is not a buckled kilt, the straps have snap buttons on them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velcro

Dare I say if it’s not an expensive kilt then you might like to consider sewing a strip of Velcro to allow the kilt to fit slightly better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    Thanks but this is not a buckled kilt, the straps have snap buttons on them
    This is a new one to me...

Is it what the more traditionally-minded (like me) think of as a kilt, made from woollen tartan and a generous amount of material, or is it one of the fashion 'utility kilt' garments?

Photos of the garment and the problems you are having would help a great deal, in giving advice and helping you find a solution.

Can you post some..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJohn View Post
    Dare I say if it’s not an expensive kilt then you might like to consider sewing a strip of Velcro to allow the kilt to fit slightly better?
    Care to elaborate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    This is a new one to me...

Is it what the more traditionally-minded (like me) think of as a kilt, made from woollen tartan and a generous amount of material, or is it one of the fashion 'utility kilt' garments?

Photos of the garment and the problems you are having would help a great deal, in giving advice and helping you find a solution.

Can you post some..?
    It’s hybrid kilt, kind of punk style, I unfortunately cannot post pictures at the moment as that feature doesn’t work on iPhone, but I can try later on my desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast