X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are gonna ask regardless it’s either “what’s under the kilt?” or “why the trousers under the kilt?”

As others have said, you don’t have to go commando (I’m sure you use a different term across the pond but I can’t think of what it is). Wear underwear and shorts if you want to. I usually wear some athletic spandex underwear to get rid of chafing but make sure I don’t have to worry about a bad situation.

And just throwing it out there, the image I get in my head when you say trousers under your kilt is along the lines of teen girls in the early 2000s wearing jeans under skirts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    At the end of the day it’s how I feel comfortable wearing it, take it or leave it, both my older brother and you should understand that, and that dictating what is worn underneath is kilt police behaviour.

I’m interested in becoming a valued member of your community and I do not wish to get into childish arguments about what should be worn under the kilt, but each to their own.
    No one can dictate what you wear, but on a discussion forum people are going to ... discuss. If you weren't interested in discussion (with the risk of people disagreeing with your choice), why post at all?

I think what people are confused by is the choice to wear the kilt (an outergarment) over trousers (another outergarment). It would be like wearing a cowboy hat over a baseball cap. It doesn't make any sense.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I can thank you for the advice but I’m personally not interested, at the moment anyway, in wearing it in such a way that will make others question what I have underneath…
    Whilst wearing it over your trousers may well avoid making others question what you have underneath, I think doing so will will simply invite more speculation and questions as to why you are wearing a kilt over your trousers in the first place.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Whilst wearing it over your trousers may well avoid making others question what you have underneath, I think doing so will will simply invite more speculation and questions as to why you are wearing a kilt over your trousers in the first place.
    Indeed. AmateurKiltsmen, if wearing a kilt over trousers is a deliberate aesthetic, I (and most others here) would say "you do you." But what I (and probably most of us) are hearing is that your choice is based on the fear of something. That is unfortunate. If you lay out your fear, we can help you with that. Most of us have been where you are. It isn't that we wish to push into conformance. We genuinely wish to help you get past your fears and enjoy kilts (and perhaps life) to the fullest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I’d rather have that then sexual harassment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    Indeed. AmateurKiltsmen, if wearing a kilt over trousers is a deliberate aesthetic, I (and most others here) would say "you do you." But what I (and probably most of us) are hearing is that your choice is based on the fear of something. That is unfortunate. If you lay out your fear, we can help you with that. Most of us have been where you are. It isn't that we wish to push into conformance. We genuinely wish to help you get past your fears and enjoy kilts (and perhaps life) to the fullest.
    I do appreciate your help but at this moment I have no desire to “go commando” I mean when I was a kid I would wear t shirts with my suits but now it’s a dress shirt so maybe in the future but not now.

There was even a kilts over trousers thread here if I recall correctly, and even my mom said she would wear trousers underneath too as a kilt is relatively short, so it’s partly my upbringing too, it’s not a fear as such, more personal style.

Anyway this is kind of off topic because the meat of the thread was how to deal with my older brother who is anti kilt and anti Scottish.
    Last edited by AmateurKiltsmen; 28th March 24 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    No one can dictate what you wear, but on a discussion forum people are going to ... discuss. If you weren't interested in discussion (with the risk of people disagreeing with your choice), why post at all?

I think what people are confused by is the choice to wear the kilt (an outergarment) over trousers (another outergarment). It would be like wearing a cowboy hat over a baseball cap. It doesn't make any sense.
    Because the post wasn’t meant to be discussing that at all, read the original post.

It’s more like wearing two coats over each other or a cape over a coat imo but ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no desire to “go commando”
    To “go commando” is to go without underwear. Nobody is suggesting you do so. In fact, a large majority here will encourage you to wear underwear.

…it’s not a fear as such…
    I’d rather have that then sexual harassment
    Throughout this thread you have made it clear that you have a fear of some sort. If your concern is sexual harassment, then you have our full empathy. Again, we can help with that. I, for one, am having difficulty in understanding where you are coming from.

...the meat of the thread was how to deal with my older brother who is anti kilt and anti Scottish.
    Your brother is a dick. Ignore your brother or tell him to get bent. There really isn’t much else to say on the matter, unless you wish to provide more details. Frankly, your mode of wearing a kilt is a more interesting topic.

…my mom said she would wear trousers underneath too as a kilt is relatively short…
    Your mom is not wrong. It is, in fact, relative. Relative to an ankle length dress, a kilt is indeed short. Compared to a mini-skirt, a kilt is quite long. Kilts are longer than most shorts. Do you wear shorts? If you do, do you wear trousers under the shorts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    To “go commando” is to go without underwear. Nobody is suggesting you do so. In fact, a large majority here will encourage you to wear underwear.

Throughout this thread you have made it clear that you have a fear of some sort. If your concern is sexual harassment, then you have our full empathy. Again, we can help with that. I, for one, am having difficulty in understanding where you are coming from.

Your brother is a dick. Ignore your brother or tell him to get bent. There really isn’t much else to say on the matter, unless you wish to provide more details. Frankly, your mode of wearing a kilt is a more interesting topic.

Your mom is not wrong. It is, in fact, relative. Relative to an ankle length dress, a kilt is indeed short. Compared to a mini-skirt, a kilt is quite long. Kilts are longer than most shorts. Do you wear shorts? If you do, do you wear trousers under the shorts?
    Regarding the last one, no but last time I wore shorts was a very long time ago.

Also if you want to discuss this i can start a kilts over trousers thread, since I can’t seem to find the last one I thought I saw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the last one, no but last time I wore shorts was a very long time ago.

Also if you want to discuss this i can start a kilts over trousers thread, since I can’t seem to find the last one I thought I saw.
    I am guessing with confidence that if you were to wear shorts today, you would not wear trousers under them. If you want to start a new thread, have at it. But do tell us what is really bothering you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast