X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Ya' know, gang, this is what he wants to do. I don't like it or think it's normal or sensible, but he does, and it's his choice. I'm not about to try to convince anyone to wear their kilt or kit differently unles they're asking for advice.

He's not.
    Exactly, my kilt, my trousers, my money, I can do whatever I want with them.

As I have already said if you don’t want another valued member of your forum that’s ok with me, honestly a shame after such a warm welcome, we can either forget this or make a mountain out of a molehill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
    I’m guessing more people than not would realise that something is strange if your friend is wearing trousers under his kilt, stuffed into his kilt hose.

And even if you’re right and most people don’t notice, I can guarantee that at least 99% of people who wear a kilt would notice immediately. By your logic, if I play my bagpipes out of tune, most people wouldn’t notice (because the general public thinks that’s what pipes are supposed to sound like). Doesn’t mean it’s pleasing, musical, or correct.

The only new ideas that really get made fun of are the ones that don’t make sense. A kilt is, in a sense, the same part of the outfit that trousers are. You’re basically wearing two pairs of trousers at the same time.

If you really want to convince us that this works, post a pic of you wearing your kiltrousers so we can see what you’re actually wearing instead of having to conjure a mental image from your description.
    Unfortunately if you read my posts you know my last kilt was too small so I’m ordering another one soon, when I get that I will post a picture but probably with everything below the kilt cropped out to avoid a repeat discussion like this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    As a side note, none of the highland wear is traditional as such, it’s all Victorian inventions because kilts were en vogue, none of it is trad, unless you want to wear a great kilt (without a shirt underneath either as those are a modern invention)
    If you are interested, there are quite a few people who make a distinction between traditional civilian highland dress and historical. Historical would fall into the appropriate time period and would include the great kilt as you mention.

Traditional refers to looking at how kilt wearing has evolved through time, as worn by those who have been immersed in the culture and have worn kilts throughout their lives.

There is a lengthy thread here with many photographs if you're interested.

Shane

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately if you read my posts you know my last kilt was too small so I’m ordering another one soon, when I get that I will post a picture but probably with everything below the kilt cropped out to avoid a repeat discussion like this one.
    I, for one, would LOVE to see a photo of your kilted, trousered self.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a side note, none of the highland wear is traditional as such, it’s all Victorian inventions because kilts were en vogue, none of it is trad, unless you want to wear a great kilt (without a shirt underneath either as those are a modern invention)
    That the kilt was a Victorian invention is demonstrably not the case. There are several surviving Highland Revival kilts that date to the late 18th-early 19th centuries and, in the form of the untailored feileadh beag, plenty of evidence of their use from the mid-18th century and probably earlier.

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456