X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older brother is a kilt kop

How do I deal with him? He always makes fun of kilts and always tells me that wearing it over my trousers isn’t “how it’s meant to be worn” I don’t care and I don’t care for his dislike of Scottish culture either, I’d appreciate some words to arm myself with so I can wear my kilt around him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't step right into that, but you may be contradicting yourself when you talk about wearing a kilt over trousers and Scottish culture together. Think it through carefully. That may be part of why he's giving you a rough time.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    ...wearing it over my trousers...
    While I certainly advocate for "you do you," your brother is right, that is not how it is meant to be done. If that is what suits you, then you do you. My presentation is more Punk than Highland.

I encourage you to go out kilt only. At first I was nervous, but I love being out and about in my kilt. I would like to eventually burn all my pants. There are threads here talking about going out in a kilt for the first time. I encourage you to check them out.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mad Dawg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your brother is absolutely correct. I would listen to him if I were you.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I deal with him? He always makes fun of kilts and always tells me that wearing it over my trousers isn’t “how it’s meant to be worn” I don’t care and I don’t care for his dislike of Scottish culture either, I’d appreciate some words to arm myself with so I can wear my kilt around him.
    Are you saying that you wear kilt and trousers at the same time..?

If so, your brother has a strong argument and it would be worth trying to see his point.

Remember that the kilt is a world-renowned garment and has a few conventions regarding its wearing, if you want to avoid looking ridiculous.

There is an abundance of how-to-wear-the-kilt advice out there, and on this forum also, so getting it 'wrong' will be a result of whether you want to follow tried-and-tested conventional ways or not.

To wear the kilt as you would trousers is the advice often given to the novice, so that it is what you are doing, rather than the kilt itself, that governs what you wear with it. Have a look at how the Tartan Army goes a-kilted when Scotland is playing England and you'll get a good idea of how Scots themselves treat the kilt for casual events.

Then again, for a wedding or Burns' night dinner, the same kilt will be 'dressed up' with silver buttoned doublet, diced or tartan hose, bow-tie, etc.

The best advice on how-to with Highand dress was given by Charles MacKinnon of Dunakin in his 1960 book Tartans and Highland Dress. The advice is as good today as it was then, and has been regularly quoted and repeated during the past 60 years.

Second-hand copies are to be found readily and cheaply, and following Mackinnon's guidance would defeat any argument your brother could ever make.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Are you saying that you wear kilt and trousers at the same time..?

If so, your brother has a strong argument and it would be worth trying to see his point.

Remember that the kilt is a world-renowned garment and has a few conventions regarding its wearing, if you want to avoid looking ridiculous.

There is an abundance of how-to-wear-the-kilt advice out there, and on this forum also, so getting it 'wrong' will be a result of whether you want to follow tried-and-tested conventional ways or not.

To wear the kilt as you would trousers is the advice often given to the novice, so that it is what you are doing, rather than the kilt itself, that governs what you wear with it. Have a look at how the Tartan Army goes a-kilted when Scotland is playing England and you'll get a good idea of how Scots themselves treat the kilt for casual events.

Then again, for a wedding or Burns' night dinner, the same kilt will be 'dressed up' with silver buttoned doublet, diced or tartan hose, bow-tie, etc.

The best advice on how-to with Highand dress was given by Charles MacKinnon of Dunakin in his 1960 book Tartans and Highland Dress. The advice is as good today as it was then, and has been regularly quoted and repeated during the past 60 years.

Second-hand copies are to be found readily and cheaply, and following Mackinnon's guidance would defeat any argument your brother could ever make.
    Thanks for the advice but I know already what should be known about highland wear and the many outfits you can wear a kilt with, honestly can’t wait to play with mine once I get one that fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot;[URL="tel:1407036"
    1407036[/URL]]Your brother is absolutely correct. I would listen to him if I were you.
    Before you agree with him, do beware he wants Scotland off the map and would happily burn kilts.

He hates Scotland and it’s not just to do with me wearing a kilt in a manner that I’m comfortable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    While I certainly advocate for "you do you," your brother is right, that is not how it is meant to be done. If that is what suits you, then you do you. My presentation is more Punk than Highland.

I encourage you to go out kilt only. At first I was nervous, but I love being out and about in my kilt. I would like to eventually burn all my pants. There are threads here talking about going out in a kilt for the first time. I encourage you to check them out.
    Well I do quite like some Celtic punk and I’ve been into goth since I was a kid…

As for the last one, I would never wear a kilt with nothing underneath, too dangerous, fat chance, be happy I like kilts to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He... and always tells me that wearing it over my trousers isn’t “how it’s meant to be worn”
    Your brothers feelings toward Scotland aside, he is correct. Kilts are not meant to be worn over trousers.

If you said, "instead of trousers" that would be entirely different. But the context of what I quoted doesn't say that at all.
    Tulach Ard

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Your brothers feelings toward Scotland aside, he is correct. Kilts are not meant to be worn over trousers.

If you said, "instead of trousers" that would be entirely different. But the context of what I quoted doesn't say that at all.
    At the end of the day it’s how I feel comfortable wearing it, take it or leave it, both my older brother and you should understand that, and that dictating what is worn underneath is kilt police behaviour.

I’m interested in becoming a valued member of your community and I do not wish to get into childish arguments about what should be worn under the kilt, but each to their own.
    Last edited by AmateurKiltsmen; 27th March 24 at 01:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast