X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Antonio Highland Games: April 6-7

The annual San Antonio Highland Games & Celtic Music Festival is this weekend, April 6th and 7th.

https://www.sahga.org/

I won't be attending this year. With the eclipse happening on Monday the 8th, it's expected to be a madhouse in this part of Texas over the entire weekend (if one is to believe the media coverage). Traffic is expected to be very heavy, gas stations could run out of fuel, grocery store shelves may be barren, cell service networks could be overloaded, restaurants will be full and could run out of food, emergency services may be overloaded, and so forth. This is due to the expected huge influx of eclipse tourists coming to the area, possibly doubling or tripling the local population for several days. I'm sure some of you who usually travel to San Antonio for this annual festival have noticed that lodging is difficult to find and probably more expensive than usual. And with the ongoing construction on Loop 1604, traffic has been a nightmare in San Antonio for a while.

I've no idea whether these dire predictions are accurate. But the area will definitely be more congested than usual. Up in my hometown of Kerrville an hour northwest of San Antonio (where we will be in the center of the totality zone for the eclipse), we're being told to be prepared well before the weekend. I have already noticed a sharp increase in local traffic and gas prices jumped up today.

So for those reasons, I'm going to just stay home over the weekend rather than risk getting tied up in gridlock.

What about y'all? Are you planning to attend the Games? Any issues you're hearing about that have affected your travel plans?
    Last edited by Tobus; 3rd April 24 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tobus:

I didn't have any trouble booking a room (a couple of months ago...). I'll be surprised if things are as crazy as they're saying they might be, but who knows?

I'll be there, alongside MacIntyre and the usual suspects. We'll miss you!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post: