X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Vacuum Ironing Box

Hello all!

I wanted to share how I iron and press my kilts. After being totally frustrated by a regular ironing board and because I can be a little extra, I decided I needed something better. Rocky mentioned they use these things called vacuum ironing boards. I did a little looking and since I'm an avid DIYer, decided I could match that. My day job is a machinist. I've run mills, lathes, and water jets, so I have access to wholesale metal and the machines to cut it. I built a open wooden box about 4inches tall by 24 long by 26 wide. (Big enough to do all the pleats in one go) Inside there is a grid of interlocking aluminum I cut on the water jet. They have notches every inch that fit together like those laser cut wood toy kits. On top I stretched a sheet of hardware store fencing I had lying around. A old cotton towel lays on top of that to keep the kilt off the galvanized wire. The far end has a large hole cut in it for the evacuation fan. Throw in a 1750 watt steam iron with a press cloth and bob's your uncle. It will pull steam through my 5 yarder no problem! I use it for everything and it kicks butt!

IMG_0891.jpg

I just threw the kilt on there for the picture.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

Usually I work one area at a time, first the pleats, then the under apron, and finally the over apron. Each section I let lay there with the vacuum on long enough to cool down and dry out before moving it. It's also sturdy enough for me to put my weight into it and PRESS those pleats into submission. It happens to be green because that was the color of paint I had laying around in my shop and I just needed to seal the wood. Has anyone else built something like this?
    Last edited by MrScott; 6th April 24 at 01:12 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MrScott For This Useful Post: