X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post

There are no margins in the CM, it's a small hand-written document and the writing fills the whole of the page. The MacLean entry is at the bottom of p.13

Attachment 43463

Sir Thomas Dick Lauder didn't make a copy of the Cromarty Ms, the brothers made one for him which Charles Allen illustrated with plates, something missing from the Cromarty version.
    Thanks for the clarifications, I've not seen the originals and I'm depending on whatever sources I can find.

In Scotland's Forged Tartans Donald C Stewart writes

It is worthy to remark that the entry for this tartan had been crowded into the lower margin of p13 of the Cromarty MS...the writing is more cramped and in a weaker ink that the rest of the page; the reference to "the quhite sett" will have been a slip.

When Sir Thomas Dick Lauder was transcribing the Cromarty MS in 1829 he passed directly from MacLauchlan to Gordon as if MacLean had not at that time been inserted.

About Lauder doing a transcription, in an 1829 letter Lauder wrote to Sir Walter Scott, quoted in The History of Highland Dress, he says

...as I wished to possess myself of a copy of the manuscript (which I wrote out myself) Mr Charles Stuart Hay with very great politeness agreed to illuminate it for me...

Which leaves two possibilities: there were two Lauder manuscripts (one in his own hand and one written by Charles Allen) or Lauder had a faulty memory.

One wonders why, if Charles Allen was the sole author of the Lauder manuscript, he would pull the rug out from under the Vestiarium Scoticum by forgetting to insert MacLean.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd May 24 at 04:54 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications, I've not seen the originals and I'm depending on whatever sources I can find.

In Scotland's Forged Tartans Donald C Stewart writes

It is worthy to remark that the entry for this tartan had been crowded into the lower margin of p13 of the Cromarty MS...the writing is more cramped and in a weaker ink that the rest of the page; the reference to "the quhite sett" will have been a slip.

When Sir Thomas Dick Lauder was transcribing the Cromarty MS in 1829 he passed directly from MacLauchlan to Gordon as if MacLean had not at that time been inserted.

About Lauder doing a transcription, in an 1829 letter Lauder wrote to Sir Walter Scott, quoted in The History of Highland Dress, he says

...as I wished to possess myself of a copy of the manuscript (which I wrote out myself) Mr Charles Stuart Hay with very great politeness agreed to illuminate it for me...

Which leaves two possibilities: there were two Lauder manuscripts (one in his own hand and one written by Charles Allen) or Lauder had a faulty memory.

One wonders why, if Charles Allen was the sole author of the Lauder manuscript, he would pull the rug out from under the Vestiarium Scoticum by forgetting to insert MacLean.
    So far as I know, there is/was only one copy of the Lauder Transcript, that which Charles Allen illustrated, and I'm happy with the idea that Lauer transcribed it himself. What is not clear is whether he transcribed directly from the CM, or whether the brothers had already produced a refined version by 1829 which he then copied. I don't know whether Thompson and Stewart actually examined the CM or worked from the Microfiche version. Either way, the CM is now in relatively poor condition and it is difficult to read it completely.

CM extract p.jpg

I don't have a full digital version of the LT but the Index certain includes MacLean (Makleane) between MacLeod and Campbell.

Lauder Transcript Index extract.jpg

In terms of undermining the published VS, Charles Allen's drawing of the Duke of Rothesay tartan in the LT is akin to what became Victoria, and is nothing like the red sett in the published VS.
    Last edited by figheadair; Yesterday at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, that's where Makleane originally was.

Then it seems the Allens found the old MacLean document, crowded a new Maklane at the bottom of p13, and changed Makleane to MakCeane (evidently only changing the one letter).

This means that the MakCeane tartan in the modified Cromarty MS was the brother's original design for Makleane. Had the brothers not found that old document the MacLeans would probably be wearing a different tartan today.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456