X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balmoral vs. Bespoke by Manly Richardson

Has anyone purchased a Bespoke kilt by Manley Richardson from Scotweb? I have an 8 yd. Balmoral kilt and was wondering if the difference in price/quality is worth it. I'm thinking about ordering another kilt, as I am way too adicted. The 5 yd. Manly Rishardson is the same cost as the 8 yd. Balmoral.

The 5 yd. cost is is $190 vs. $300.

I'm considering the Fort William tartan as I am re-walking the West Highland Way this summer.

Questions? Thoughts? Comments?
    Last edited by KiltedDawg; 26th February 09 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I wish I knew this myself... I have an 8 yard balmoral on order.... from what I gather,the manley richardson offers you more options....color of buckles and straps and stuff like that.

Otherwise,may be more experience kiltmakers, but I've heard no one compalining about the quality of the balmorals, so...

It'd be nice to get Nick's prgmatic opinion on this one.

Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered my 8 yd. Bespoke Manly Richardson in the Seton Ancient because I wanted the quality they offered and I wanted a kilt that would last generations
    and that is what I feel they provided. I also had the matching Fly Plaid done at the same time to avoid any color difference in a future weaving and order.

We each have to take the recommendations from other members and digest it all and then make our own final decision. I have not regretted my decision
    spending the additional funds for what I received in return!
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flirted with the maley richardson idea, I don't remember why I opted out. probably just a general cost idea, especially where it is my first kilt, i exercised some restraint :P

But you're right...I mean ultimately... if you love what you bought, it should be worth the money, especially for something like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7-yard Balmoral and I'm very happy with it
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strictly my opinion... but if I were going to get something that was "top of the line", which I imagine the Manley would be, I wouldn't get it in 5-yard. If you want a 5-yd, get the Balmoral. If you want the luxury of Manley, get it in 8-yd.

That being said, I don't know how good Manley actually is, but I'd like to find out one day I'm very happy with both of my Balmorals (one 5 and one 8), so I'm not sure that I'll every actually bother to pay the money for the upgrade, though...

If you go for Manley, be sure to post how great it is so we can live vicariously through you
    elim

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know beans about Manley Richardson, so you can just file this under "ignorant ravings of a mad man." I'm actually a little mad for certain just now.

But, I never let a little ignorance stop me.

I have an 8 yard bespoke from Edgar's, I have a 5-yard bespoke from William MacIntosh (before he sold out to Scotweb or became Scotweb or what ever), a couple of lower end kilts from Jerry at SWK, a great kilt from MacIntosh, a throw away from somebody i never wear, and a heavy Gordon from . The 8-yard bespoke cannot be approached by the rest. Even the very nice 5-yarder does not come close to the 8-yarder, and the 5-yarder is a darned fine kilt.

Bottom line: buy the 8-yard kilt. Your grandchildren will be wearing it and talking about it on X-Marks when we are all dead and gone.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.