X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dalgleish woven Douglas Black Modern kilt by Balmoral/Scotweb

A month or so ago Nick announced the independent acquisition of DC Dalgleish weavers as his way of insuring the continuation of an independent tartan weaver that was capable and willing to make small runs of special weave tartans. I wanted just one of those special weave tartans but the expense was just too much for custom woven 16 oz Douglas Black Modern (more than $500US just for the tartan, not including shipping or tariffs or the kilt build up), so I settled for their stock 11-12 oz variety in a kilt made by Scotweb/Balmoral and pulled the trigger while my mind was still strong. Cost was only $255US shipped (including some redeemed Scotweb points), and since it arrived via RoyalMails (thank you Nick and Scotweb) it came with no customs duties attached. Showed up nearly two weeks ago while I was out of town and it has taken me since then to get her ready for her debut (steaming and ironing required to remove some viscious wrinkles) today. It arrived folded in quarters with two rows of basting stitches, and in a paper mailer, hence the wrinkles.

It is a well built and beautiful kilt with all quality materials and workmanship comparable to my other full 8 yard kilts. My only reservation is the lightweight material which is marginal by weight for a decent wearing kilt, does not look like it will hold the pleats quite as sharply, tends to wrinkle more easily, but worked fine on her maiden outing today. Selvedge is perfect, fell sewn straight and well aligned, aprons right sized and tapered, everything just right.

First wearing to a barbecue festival (a bust of an event) with my clan tee and caubeen.

Pleats and fell.

Hamish pleat shot. Never as good as the master himself.

Better view of the pleats and fell laid out. Still needs another steam and some touch up ironing.

The Douglas Black Modern is virtually identical to the standard Douglas Modern except for a red stripe over the blue instead of the usual white overstripe. Colors of the Dalgleish are vivid and rich, some of the best I have seen in any tartans. My little contribution to supporting the cause----hope it helps.

Jeff
    Last edited by ForresterModern; 19th June 11 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superb pictures and you do look smart.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on getting the Douglas Black tartan - one of my favorites. It looks bright and beautiful. To me the red stripes highlight the almost aquamarine colors of the Douglas even better than the white. It's very dashing!

The pin sporran looks great, but I would forever be afraid of stumbling, falling, and impaling myself on it.

My Blaylock Hunting kilt is made from the lighter weight (K7) Dalgliesh tartan, too. I like it very much. It hangs and sways nicely and it just feels cooler in the hot summertime. I haven't had any problems, yet, with wrinkles or the pleats, but it hasn't had heavy-duty, day in, day out use, yet. I have my Shark steamer ready, just in case. Good luck with your kilt.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who care for a side by side with the regular Douglas:

Here are both Douglas tartans, black and standard, in modern colorway by Dalgleish as shown on Scotweb's own site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely!

(indeed a good pressing wouldn't go astray...) But otherwise, beautiful colours and fabric, well done!

Cheers

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff: I got a better idea. How 'bout side-by-side pictures of you - one in your Douglas Modern and the other in your Douglas Black? That way we can tell how they look in situ, so to speak.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Jeff: I got a better idea. How 'bout side-by-side pictures of you - one in your Douglas Modern and the other in your Douglas Black? That way we can tell how they look in situ, so to speak.
    I have just one more Douglas that I desire a kilt in, namely weathered Douglas by Lochcarron, and will probably send off the tartan for that this fall. After that I will do a Douglas kilt collection pictorial for all the fans.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall a picture of you in your Douglas Brown, but I could have sworn I saw another of you in a Douglas Modern, too. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing your collection of clan kilts. We'll all be blinded by the splendor. ;)

Great minds do think alike. I've been mentally resisting Douglas Reproduction tartan from Dalgliesh. Love the sett and the colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff. Nice. I'd be pushed to go for 11oz meeself, my 13oz are about a light as I'd dare (it's just the breezy thing that worries me) but that looks sound enough. Have you got a heavy kilt pin?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    Jeff. Nice. I'd be pushed to go for 11oz meeself, my 13oz are about a light as I'd dare (it's just the breezy thing that worries me) but that looks sound enough. Have you got a heavy kilt pin?
    Several, John, thanks. 11 is very marginal kilting material, although Dalgleish makes it as good as it can get IMHO.

j

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast