X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Denim Fashion Kilt?

Gents:

With all the usual caveats (not wool, machine stitched), does anyone have any experience with the dark denim fashion kilt from the Kilt Store?

http://kiltstore.net/sr_swhdr_dark_deminkilt.html

I know that, as presented, it's a "hip hugger" but I e-mailed and asked if it could be tailored more like a traditional kilt, i.e., up around the floating ribs---they said yes. With the X-marks discount, the upfront price doesn't seem bad at all, and I think an eight yard denim kilt would work well in the Houston climate.

Comments, thoughts, gripes, complaints? Enquiring (samurai!) minds want to know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty cool. I like the darker denim. Personnaly I would prefer one of the tweed kilts or plain coloured kilts, but that's just me. The price seems alright. Not to take away from the kilt store at all, as I have heard a lot of good things, but have you taken a look at the dress model kilts at freedom kilts? We have had two really good reviews from them this week (Ron and Mike). http://www.freedomkilts.com/store/wizard/1/1 it's about $20 more, but you may save the customs fees. Either way, I am sure you will get a great looking kilt. I have heard alot of good things about Kiltstore and their service.

This guy looks happy with his demin kilt from kiltstore.net http://www.imff.net/php/useralbums/hamish/afe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"so many kiltmakers . . . "

Colin:

Freedom Kilts is definitely on the list of "must haves" but, to date, I don't have an actual Scottish kilt. As far as tweed goes, well, Matt Newsome is doing me up a four yard box pleat in the Lovat charcoal tweed.

So many kilts, so little time . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you, bud. Too many kilt to little $$$$.

Here's Hamish's original review of the kiltstore denim if it helps http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8724 I don't know if it was this weekend or next that he was off to California, but I am sure he will offer a word or two here.

Good luck, the denim looks sharp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was seriously considering one of these last fall. My money instead went into an Xmarks traditional. However, I still think they'd be great in the right setting and may buy one yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The deal is done

Gents, ladies and rapscallions of either sex:

The deal is done. I just ordered a dark denim kilt, seven yards, cut traditionally. As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with a gentleman from the Kiltstore confirming my order. He even inquired as to the color of thread used----offering a gold thread for a "Western jeans look" or navy thread for a more subdued style. (I chose subdued.)

Let the jonesing begin!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post pics once you receive it. Up till now I've resisted buying a denim kilts as the one I've seemed always looked rather like denim skirts, but this might be a denim kilt which would look the part.
    Vice-President and Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50 55' 15.42"N 0 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry: I seem to have missed this thread altogether (along with many others I'm sure) since getting back from California.

Thanks, Colin, for the 'publicity' - what a memory you have!

Yes, that denim kilt from Kiltstore is very nice indeed, and it is constructed exactly as a traditional kilt, but without the 'rise'. I wore it a lot when it was new but in the past year I have gained so much weight that I just cannot do it up!! This, unfortunately, is the case with quite a few of the kilts in my Kollection, but they have been archived and so remain within it but are no longer worn.

Good luck with your purchase - I'm sure you'll be very satisfied. Kiltstore folks are a great team to deal with.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not presume . . .

to cross swords with the esteemed Hamish regarding kilts----I will however simply point out that the makers will adjust the manufacture of the kilt to include a rise, should one so desire. (This one, for instance, did so desire!)

Once more I find myself with a broken digital camera---yet there are plans to "un-break" it, have suitable shots taken and posted of several kilts that have recently arrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cossack View Post
    Gents:

With all the usual caveats (not wool, machine stitched), does anyone have any experience with the dark denim fashion kilt from the Kilt Store?

Comments, thoughts, gripes, complaints? Enquiring (samurai!) minds want to know!

fyi, we've just updated our product photos for this garment. We think it's a wee bit cooler than before: :-)

And yes, we can do them in any fabric length/size etc. and you do get a choice of thread colours - personally i love the orange threads.