X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Essential Scotweb Seven Yard Traditional Kilt

I was just viewing this item on the Scotweb site. Do any of the rabble have one of these? Any comments / reviews you would wish to share? I am seriously considering a purchase in the near future.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/es...ditional-kilt/
    Last edited by FatherWilliam57; 7th June 13 at 05:35 PM.
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of these when there was a small sale on them a year or so ago if I recollect. The wool they use for these is a bit coarser than many of the other kilts I own, but not so much that they never get worn. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them otherwise. They are fabulous pieces of scottish attire, well crafted and they are gladly worn. Just beware: Scotweb uses FedEx to ship them to this side of the pond, so brokerage fees will eat up seventy dollars or more on top of the price you'll pay. Enjoy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the Scotweb Essential , but I do have a Scotweb 8 yd Balmoral series kilt .

It is excellent , quality and craftsmanship are very good , I was extremely pleased . I purchased it one year ago , March of 2012 . Scotweb used DHL to ship my kilt and there were no brokerage fees .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, for the last several orders I've received, Scotweb has been using DHL to ship to The States. To date, DHL has not hit me once, with tariffs, duties, or brokerage fees.

Of Scotweb, I only have good things to say. Their service has been outstanding, and their products are excellent. Of the several kilts I've ordered from Scotweb, one of them is their Essential 5 Yd kilt, received several months ago. I agree with Blake Roth's statement that the fabric in the Essentials line may not be quite as smooth in hand as say, a Lochcarron weave. I think my 5 Yd was woven by Batli, in lightweight. But the 7 Yd is made in heavyweight 16oz, and may be woven by a different mill. I've considered getting an Essential 7 Yd myself, and may still, one day. But of the limited selection of tartans, only the Black Watch would be an appropriate tartan for me, and I already have an 8 Yd Black Watch (in PV, not wool.)
    Last edited by unixken; 7th June 13 at 07:05 PM.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be receiving my 7 yard kilt from Soctweb next week. to be continued.......
    Last edited by Stan; 8th June 13 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to recomend the 7 yard scotweb kilt

Next week I'll be receiving my 7 yard kilt from Soctweb, and I expect it to be as nice as my 5 yard casual kilt that I bought from them also. I ordered the 7 yard kilt about 8 weeks ago. I've done a lot of "kilt shopping" on the web from well known "kilt houses" (for lack of knowing a better way to say it) , and besides the 7 yard kilt being one of the best deals out there (if not the best) I think that their workmanship is great.

BTY, your items from scotweb are only delivered fed-ex, if you pay extra. The 'default' (free) delivery is via (as I remember) royal mail. It could have been DHL, just don't remember.

My packages from Scotweb have been delivered (to Oklahoma) in about 4 days from posting, and come without hassle, or any kind of duty, that I'm aware of.

I've had great service, and kilts from scotweb:
    The quality and workmanship of their kilts is great. It's like doing biz with "Brooks brothers, Scotland". My first kilt from them was made with 13 oz. house of Edgar wool, and it's a slinky as a snake. Recently when I was at an event (in that kilt) and in addition to the normal range of questions and comments, I received a number of unsolicited comments about how "expensive" the wool of my kilt looked.

Limited tartan list for the 7 yard kilt:
    Yes, the 7 yard kilt "deal" has less tartans to chose from, but I was lucky enough to find my tartan in the 7 yard package. Recently I've been replacing my P.V. kilts with wool ones, and if I hadn't found a family tartan on the "7 yard" list I was thinking of getting one of the 7 yard kilts in either Black watch, or a Dark island.

So, two thumbs up for Scotweb, and the scotweb 7 yard kilt.
    Last edited by Stan; 8th June 13 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my five yard Wallace kilt from them, but was given an upgrade to a better cloth because of a snag with the original tartan.