X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how big is the 14$ swatch

just a wondering why it is so much?

anyone know?

Pittsburgh Kilts
    I'm such a jerk! I was GIVING away swatches! Crazy. No wonder I had to take a programming job, I obviously have no business savy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Kilts
    I'm such a jerk! I was GIVING away swatches! Crazy. No wonder I had to take a programming job, I obviously have no business savy.
    Yeah, but Jeff, that practie probably sold you more kilts than whoever is charging for swatches, and given the nature of kilt making, I can't imagine NOT having scraps laying around that would be suitable for sending to people for samples.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

its the kilt store that sells them........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade5984
    its the kilt store that sells them........
    Switchblade, not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but not concerned either way. :-D The kiltstore may not have scraps laying around because they buy their kilts from a manufacturer, so I could understand them wanting to charge for them, but $14 is a bit much! I could buy a yard of fabric from the local store for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what im saying... i was hoping it would at least be enough for some sort of scarf........ oh well!

btw i dont agree with it if they want to sell them they could have the faith and send them out or atleast make the money go to a purchas of some sort......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, this is Nick from KiltStore.net and just thought it might be helpful to give our view on this one... Firstly, the swatches' size depends on which mill they come from, but are generally about 9" x 6".

Now, of course we fully understand that the 10 pound (c. 14 USD) charge seems high for a scrap of material that size. That's why we offer to refund that against the price of a subsequent kilt order (or other garment). And in fact, if you've ever run a business, you'll understand that this price does little more than cover our costs of processing the swatch order (materials, overheads, staff time, etc.)

We'd love to be able to send them out free, and yes, we'd probably get more kilt orders if we did. The reason we don't is that an amazingly high proportion of the requests we get are from people wanting small pieces to decorate dolls' clothing, make wedding favours', show their grandkids' their family tartans, etc. etc. These are all perfectly legitimate uses, but we don't see why we should pay for them ourselves.

I'd also like to correct one comment above, with someone suggesting we just 'buy' our kilts from a manufacturer, which is a little misleading. We produce kilts in exactly the same way that the old-established High Street names do, ordering in lengths of fabric from the weavers' then commissioning our kiltmakers to hand-make individual garments to our own unique specifications. The reason our prices are generally much lower is down to lower overheads, and absolutely not by cutting any corners or getting them 'off the shelf'.

As for scraps, yes, we do get lots, and we recycle where we can. But we offer the world's largest choice of tartans, bar no one. (Many of these we have woven to order - at only a small extra charge! - which sadly we can't supply swatches for.) So you may understand that we can't hold most of these in stock, even as swatches. In any case, it normally takes only days to supply them.

Hope this helps clarify. If anyone wants to ask further, please email us direct at KiltStore.net as I'm afraid I'm simply too busy (especially at this time of year!) to check here regularly. Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, one can make flashes from swatches

Ain't done it yet, but know there are do-it-yourself instructions somewhere on this board.

I still get free swatches from TFCK...more chunks of fabric than anything like a formal swatch.

SportKilt has sent me two swatches, one USMC unrequested, one Irish shomething I requested, no charge.

Evil Robert at RKilts sent me an unrequested STACK of leather swatches and sold me a leather kilt for his efforts after I'd inhaled enough leather scent to make me order up in some sort of leather swatch induced daze.

Certainly see the reasoning to charge too. Guess everyone with a business makes decisions on how to run it, what is marketing and what isn't.

For what its worth to any kiltmakers about, I still eye EVERY ONE of the swatchs I've received, solicited and unsolicited...they're powerful if you're dealing with a kilt addicted prospect who doesn't own any dolls needing clothing...and is too busy to actually turn them into flashes.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Evil Robert at RKilts sent me an unrequested STACK of leather swatches and sold me a leather kilt for his efforts after I'd inhaled enough leather scent to make me order up in some sort of leather swatch induced daze.

Ron
    Ron, You always refer to me as "EVIL" as if it were part of my name my parents gave me! well maybe you're right .....but really! I'm a nice sorta guy...approachable.....I make kilts...in fact I'm building this wonderful Bronze leather kilt that is very supple...You have one of those swatches right Ron?...isn't it just wonderful...ooh that texture...hmmm yes I am EVIL! whahahahahahaahahahah
    The leather and hemp Kilt Guy in Stratford, Ontario

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Ron, You always refer to me as "EVIL" as if it were part of my name my parents gave me! well maybe you're right .....but really! I'm a nice sorta guy...approachable.....I make kilts...in fact I'm building this wonderful Bronze leather kilt that is very supple...You have one of those swatches right Ron?...isn't it just wonderful...ooh that texture...hmmm yes I am EVIL! whahahahahahaahahahah
    OK, Ron and Robert, both of you stop! I have some of those same samples ans the leather calls my name at night when my resistance is weak, don't make the voices stronger by telling me you are making one now and how nice the leather is! I can't stand it! I can smell the wonderful leather when I am sitting at my desk every day (and the swatches are at home!), and I have had more than one female co-worker express her desire to see me in a leather kilt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast