X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about kilt building

Hiya Nick, I have short question for you and I'm sure others would like to know. I've just recently ordered a kilt from scotweb. The kilt is the Balmoral traditional 8 yard. During the ordering process I was given a choice of either Hand sewn or Machine and Hand sewn.
    Can you tell us the differences between the two if there are any in layman's terms ? I think this would help us make a more informed choice when buying from Scotweb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you see this thread?
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple:
    Hand sewn stitches invisible
    Machine sewn stitches revealed.
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Tremende View Post
    Did you see this thread?
    Yes I even posted in that thread but what I'm asking is about the Machine and hand sewn. When you order a kilt from Scotweb your given a choice of "Hand Sewn" or "Machine and Hand Sewn" I was just wondering what is involved with that. They also mentioned in the other thread that with handsewn kilts, there is alot of reinforcing goes into the kilt such as behind the straps. Does that reinforcing get put into the "Machine and Hand Sewn" kilts?
    I'm just curious about whats going into the kilt I ordered. I realize I should have asked before but better late than never lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi wyldathart,

As you may have picked up already from the responses on my behalf, this is an issue on which some people hold quite strong opinions. So I will restrict myself to replying to your question with a straight bat, and giving my own personal view with our own kiltmaking in mind.

Basically I regard it as a matter of taste. With all-hand-stitching you receive a product with a more artisan feel to it, because hand-stitching will never be as regular as machine-stitching, and this very 'imperfection' is more aesthetic in many people's eyes. Visually you get more 'tugging' with hand-stitching, resulting in more visible indentations for the stitches that look more old-fashioned and therefore traditional as many would see it. Some people also enjoy the feeling that comes from knowing the garment has been carefully hand-tailored throughout.

Our own 'machine and hand' kilts should NOT be confused with the sort of bulk machined kilts produced by overseas factories etc. They are still hand-made, but using machine stitching for the more invisible parts of the construction, which both keeps costs down, and produces a more regular and uniform result, with less artisan unevenness, which many people prefer. (I know this assertion has been disputed previously by some people who believe than hand-stitched aesthetic is always superior, but I can only report what our real customers say.) The point about it being 'machine and hand' is that we still hand-stitch some of the more visible areas, so the end result to most intents and purposes still looks hand-made...

As for reinforcement etc., yes, absolutely. For both. You would not believe the obsessive thought that has gone into each individual component, to ensure the stresses and strains of carrying this heavy garment over many years do not result in it losing its shape etc. (And you'd be amazed how many 'complaints' we get from customers about their kilt not having belt loops... until we point out that they're there, but just so well-tartan-matched that they're practically invisible.) I'm not going to tell you all our trade secrets, but our kilts have been developed over many years of exacting and very expert work. And I think you only have to read the reviews on our 8 Yard Balmoral page (all genuine, unedited) to see the sort of reception they get. Many of these reviews are from highly knowledgeable kilt owners or the children etc. of kiltmakers themselves, and most are basically rave reviews. I'd hope this speaks for itself.

Hope you like it when it comes! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it. I was just curious about the way they were built. Personally I don't care how it's put together as long as it stands up. Thanks for the explanation Nick it's appreciated