X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish I could would review the kilt, but I haven't recieved it yet

Let me start off by saying that I initially ordered a clearance P/V kilt that was my size, recieved it quickly, and wear it often. It is one of my favorite kilts and I am very happy with the quality, but this post is to voice my frustration with my next order. In June I ordered wool Causal Kilt and was initially informed it would take 4-6 weeks. I wanted to get it in time to wear to a family reunion and asked if it coud be rushed and delivered by the end of July. I was told it could but would incur an additional 70 pound fee. I declined and then noticed the expected date changed to 12 weeks (from the 4-6). When I inquired as to the change, I recieved an email stating "Our regular production time for kilts is 6 weeks. They average 4-6 weeks, but can take much longer depending on cloth availablity" and that the cloth was now not immediately available. Since I wanted a kilt quickly I emailed "Looking at the clearance items, there are a few that I would accept as a substitue. There is a MacBean modern Balmoral 8 yd and a Clare Irish County Beespoke 8 yd. I would be happy to switch for either of these." They agreed and then charged me for the substitute. I emailed back that I only wanted a sustitute, not to pay additional. They refunded me the amount and changed my fabric for one they said would be ready sooner that my initial choice. On July 23rd, I was also told they would rush the order and get it out to me. Friday, I inquired as to the status again and they said it is scheduled to ship in September.
    I do not have a problem waiting for a kilt, I know it is not an easy process. What I have a problem with is that I feel I am not ever being given accurate information. Tell me when it will be ready and if it will take longer, shoot me an email letting me know the delay. Do not say it will be done sooner and then wait for me to email to let me know there are problems. Do not tell me you will substitute an item and then charge me more for it. Do not tell me yo will rush it if you are not going to do so.
    I am still excited to get my kilt (5yd 16oz casual MacDonald of Clanranald) and will review it when it comes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I might be so bold...who did you order from??? If it 's coming from Scotland, they seem to play that trick quite often, although I had great success with Marchbrae. I don't see that sort of issue with American vendors or kilt makers. See my thread: Customer Service!

Good luck waiting. And, don't forget some pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered it from Scotweb.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the thread you have posted in I think we can guess the who the supplier is. I have had numerous dealings with the store. I find no fault with the quality of goods sold there and they are value for money, in my opinion.
    I know where you are comming from in relation to being told one thing and and not being kept in the loop when something else happens.
    In the recent past I was promised the world when something went wrong with my garment and was assured that the repair would be top priority and the item returned by the fastest possible route. Needless to say this did not happen. As in your case, I had to chase their customer service for information on the state of the repair and specifically asked for the reason why the repair took so long (still waiting on the reason)
    I eventually received a email from the owner, who did not address the specific questions I had asked, but assured me that everything possible had been done to rectify the problem and he was satisfied with the service I had received.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    I eventually received a email from the owner, who did not address the specific questions I had asked, but assured me that everything possible had been done to rectify the problem and he was satisfied with the service I had received.
    Well, of the two parties to the transaction, it's nice to know that at least the vendor was satisfied with the service the customer received. . .
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but it does seem to be a current trend with Scotweb as I have also experienced similar problems recently. It will be interesting to read what Nick (in case you don't know it, the founder and owner of Scotweb, Nick Fiddes, is a member of this forum) has to say about the issue. He does tend to comment on these threads from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy of course to respond here on behalf of Scotweb. As always, we're concerned whenever any customer experiences dissatisfaction, and if we've failed to communicate correctly at any point I want to know about it to address the issue. We do know of one such issue that we're currently addresssing, that I'll explain below. But at this point I'm otherwise failing to see exactly where we've fallen below the standards I'd expect.

As you say, your initial order (this time) was for a made to measure casual kilt, which you ordered in one of our economy tartans. As you state, you requested a rush order which we offered to meet, but would have to surcharge (to cover additional costs we incur ourselves). You decided to wait instead. So far so good.

We then learned that the fabric you had requested was out of stock, and there would be a delay re-weaving. As we make every effort to explain wherever possible, this is a normal and routine event in tartan production. If there was any way for us to circumvent it we would, and the same would be true for any kiltmaker. So we immediately communicated to you the delay.

You then chose to look at obtaining a kilt from our clearance range instead, which our team sought to help you with. But it appears this is where your expectations and ours diverge. I understand where you're coming from, but you appear to believe that because we could not supply your original request on the timescale you wished, you had a moral right to ask for any kilt from our clearance range to be given to you instead for the same price, regardless of its value. But I'm afraid this is not something I can agree with. The kilts you were interested in were made from far more expensive fabrics than the economy kilt you had ordered. And one was a Manley Richardson. Whilst we always do our best to make every customer happy, I'm afraid giving customers free range to pick from our entire stock of kilts whenever a mill runs out of the fabric originally ordered is just not a sustainable business practice.

So still trying to help you as best we could, we suggested another similar fabric to your original order, within the same price band, that we could supply more promptly. Again, you asked for this to be supplied as quickly as possible. And we promised we would do our best to hurry it along, though our hands were tied by this now being during the kiltmakers' annual holiday break. Nonetheless, we are expecting to have the garment ready, I understand, in about half our normal six week lead time from the time your eventual order was finalised, by early September. We are rushing this at our own expense, as a goodwill gesture despite the fact that we believe we have already done everything possible at each step of the way.

I am honestly unclear at what point you feel we have failed to communicate, since our records suggest to me that we were in contact promptly and fully each time you contacted us, or the situation otherwise changed.

The one criticism I fully accept is the frustration of our status reporting in the members' area, which is currently far from satisfactory. This is one of the reasons we have had a team of tech people spending most of the past year rewriting our back-end office systems to enable more effective operations. The first modules of this upgrade will start to come on stream as early as next week. And I hope to see improvements in our customer information systems later this year.

Finally, may I draw people's attention again to the Sticky at the top of this thread about contacting me directly with any issues before posting messages like this here. I have no problem with legitimate criticism where it's deserved. But as with any interaction there are always two sides to a story. And I would appreciate the opportunity to clarify points of difference or misunderstanding in a more direct and personal way first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In conflict, both parties think they are right, and will always justify why their view point is correct. Obviously, this is the case in this thread. That's only human nature and, in many instances, that's why we go to court or have mediators or arbitrators to try and come to an equitable solution. In this situation, the customer really has very little recourse with the vendor. Who will act as a mediator???

No matter how much a vendor tries to justify his view point, if enough customers are complaining, then the vendor has a problem. Sometimes one needs to take the blinders off!!

To be honest, I was contemplating buying a casual kilt from said vendor, as I've never bought from them before, but I'm, now, hesitant. I should do it anyway, just to see for myself.

Anyway, I do hope your problem gets rectified promptly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like this is just a little bit of miscommunication.

The first thing, the foremost thing to keep in mind when ordering a kilt, particularly any sort of custom order, is that it will NOT, in most cases, be possible to get your hands on it in any reasonable time frame.

The mill may be out of fabric.

The maker may be horribly busy with a dozen other "rush" orders.

The post may be taking its sweet time.

All are perfectly normal...assuming no breakdowns at the factory, no illnesses at the maker and no lost mail, all the above can add a couple solid months. Add in an overseas shipment, and you may as well add another couple weeks...or longer.

So the first thing to remember is...kilt jonesing is to be expected! This is a product with a small enough customer base that a good quality product simply isn't mass-produced to the point that you can place an order and get what you want in ten business days. The way I think of it is like this...be prepared, get it ahead of time, and if you realize you have a sudden need for something kilt-related, you've probably identified that need too late to get your stuff in time.

Unfortunately, that's just the way this particular game works, and I can say it a dozen different ways, but it all comes down to "order your kilt at least four months before you think you need it, and maybe you'll get lucky and be first in line at the maker, and the mill will have your tartan on hand."

Clear and blatant notice of potential timeframe may be the only way in which Scotweb dropped the ball. Otherwise, it sounds as though they've gone the extra mile on your behalf.

I emailed "Looking at the clearance items, there are a few that I would accept as a substitue. There is a MacBean modern Balmoral 8 yd and a Clare Irish County Beespoke 8 yd. I would be happy to switch for either of these."
    I hate to have to say this, but that's a very ambiguous statement. To you, "substitute" meant "I want this one at the same price as that one." To Nick, it meant "I'll buy this one instead." You're substituting one kilt for another...no problem. Pay the difference, get your kilt. See how ambiguous that is? You wouldn't order a Chevy Cobalt, then hear about how your color wouldn't be ready for a couple months and then demand a Corvette instead, would you?

It's only polite of me to assume that you didn't understand or notice the difference between your order of a casual kilt and an 8-yd "traditional" kilt. I can sympathize with Nick, who does know the difference, and surely is not going to let an 8-yd "traditional" kilt out the door for the same price as a casual kilt. We should give you the benefit of the doubt that the spirit of your email was not to suggest that you were entitled to compensation in light of the additional timeframe necessary to weave the tartan you originally ordered.

They're trying to get you kilted in the timeframe you wanted, at the price point you're comfortable with...from reading both sides of the story, it sounds like you're rushing and may not be fully aware of the potential timeframes or differences in quality between one type of kilt and the next, and it sounds like Scotweb is doing their best to work with your requirements despite the miscommunication regarding the word "substitute" and the length of time necessary to weave a tartan not currently available at that particular mill.

My advice would be to kick back with a cold one. I don't think anyone involved intended obfuscation, misunderstanding or insult. They're working on the software side, as they should, to minimize miscommunication in the future. The "rush" order...that seems pretty cut and dried. If I asked for a three week rush (it's Aug 17 today, September delivery is about three weeks out), I'd expect laughter and a sit-down chat about lead and delivery times for niche market items. Scotweb being willing to do it that quickly is an indication of them trying to satisfy you, regardless of how many times you change your order, or what miscommunications may have happened in the past.

Den, it's been my experience in the past that in addition to being "right", customers can also be ignorant, annoying, selfish, demanding, completely wrong, and totally unable to recognize any of the former traits due to the mantra that "the customer is always right". We're all human, and that immutable fact of life has kept me from pursuing various of my hobbies for profit. In point of fact, the customer retains quite a bit of potential for recourse for a vendor unwilling or unable to meet the customer's demands to the best of the vendor's ability. At this point, it seems like the vendor is doing all they can, to satisfy a customer in a hurry. The old saying, "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part," comes to mind...but some vendors are still willing to make an emergency of it, despite this sort of situation generally being the outcome.

Manfrozeninaglacier, it's customary to try and resolve these things via email, telephone, private message, or other media before airing your dirty laundry. Bringing potentially stinky underthings to light before the situation is resolved generally results in bad feelings, and as you may have noticed in my post, there is no guarantee that everyone will automatically take your side of the issue. Implicit in Den's remark that everyone thinks they are right is the corollary that there is generally enough blame to go round, and if all was done in good faith, the best thing to do is make up and let it go.

-Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, in your reply you stated that I was contacted when the fabric was out of stock but I was not. That is where the frustration started; it was not until I noticed the expected date change on my order and I contacted Scotweb via email that I was informed of the problem. If I had been sent an email (or the website "order" status reflected it) I would have felt that Scotweb was properly informing me regarding the status of my order. I do look forward to the website being updated to better reflect order status'; I believe this is a bone of contention for others here as well. I did not read the sticky and would have PM'd you first to discuss my frustration. Yesterday I received an email stating that my kilt is being made and will ship as soon as it is ready and it I am glad to hear (read) it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast