X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scout kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy Scout kilts

My Boy Scout venture crew {boys and girls 13 to 21 years old} made there uniform bottom a kilt. The boys love it it and so do I { it was really my idea} and the girls are just o.k. with it. Well we did a campfire tonight for the younger scouts and I was in my kilt but the kids were not. We were walking around and one of the scouts ran over to me and asked me to give him my kilt. Well I had to say no but it was great to see how other males like kilts at any age. I told my wife and she just said " it's a guy thing " and I said yep. I have a lot of boys that want to join my crew as soon as the turn 13. The other scout leaders tried to ban the kilt. I went to the top people in the Boy Scout and they said if we want kilts, to go for it.

I've been wearing my kilt every were and I always get a great response. It was a great summer in the Chicago area for kilts, it was hot and I was cool in more than one way. I wear my kilt with pride and always with great respect. I love the way it makes me feel and will never do anything the bring down the respect WE get from wearing this garment.
    Last edited by Tartan Hiker; 11th February 10 at 01:57 PM.

billmcc
    Quote Originally Posted by kenNYG
    My Boy Scout venture crew {boys and girls 13 to 21 years old} made there uniform bottom a kilt. The boys love it it and so do I { it was realy my idea} and the girls are just o.k. with it.
    kenNYG,

What kind of kilt (tartan, plain) are you and your crew wearing?
    Do you think the girls would be happier with a kilted skirt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I'd had you for a Scoutmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kids wear a green plad tartan that I dont know the name of. We bought the last ones that U.K. had and they dont make them any more. We've gone to Black Stewart . I have the geen, black stewart, the Marian camie becouse my son became a Marian June 30,05.

You have to remember that cost is important to kids that work part time. I know that a lot of you don't look up to U.K. but I have found them quite comfertable and they they helped us out on the price. I have order a black kilt from Bear Kilts and should get it in the next few weeks.

I'll have to ask the girls about the kilted skirt. That may make them feel better not do be dreesed the same as the boys.

As my mother always told me " be diffrent, be happy and have a great day, Ken

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken,

If nothing else, you are following in the footsteps of tradition with your Scout kilt-wearing. Lord Baden-Powell, who was World Chief Scout when I was a lad, as he was for many years, frequently wore the kilt as part of his Scout uniform.

Well done!
    Last edited by Hamish; 18th September 05 at 03:42 PM.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Ken,

If nothing else, you are following in the footsteps of tradition with your Scout kilt-wearing. Lord Baden-Powell, who was World Chief Scout when I was a lad, as he was for many years, frequently wore the kilt as part of his Scout uniform.

Well done!
    which leads to my question. I have a vague memory of there being a scout kilt. It was a long time ago but I'm almost positive. Maybe it was Baden-Powell's tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick look have two listed here: http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tart...cfm?startrow=1 One looks a bit like a lighter version of the shadow kilt, not bad.

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a Boy Scout, quite a few years ago, it was very common for Scouts to wear the kilt. I don't remember if there were a special tartan. I remember that Lord Rowallan, who took over from B-P, usually wore the kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is now defunct, but in the 50's there was certainly a kilted scout group in Finchley- North London.

Too I recall seeing pictures of kilted scouts attending a jamboree.

So there is certainly a precedent for scouts being kilted.

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouting and Kilts

Actually, my first "non-costume" event for wearing a kilt will be my cub scout meeting. As the cubmaster, I have taken to wearing something especially appropriate to our monthly theme: i.e. Cub Scout Roundup - I will be wearing my jeans, cowboy boots, and cowboy hat.

Our November theme is "Our Family Tree", so even though I'm not Scottish, I'm planning to wear a kilt. 1) because it's fun, and 2) it's easily recognizable as a family heritage type item. It will be interesting to see the various reactions. (They shouldn't be too surprised, since they're used to me wearing something unusual. I wore my tuxedo for the 75th Birthday of Scouting event, and made a replica of a race car driver's suit for Pinewood Derby.)

I have a traditional 8 yd, pleated to the stripe, Black Stewart that I made about 11 years ago. Never quite finished it, and now that I've lost weight, I'm taking it in about 6 inches. My other kilt is a great kilt - it's a tartan weave, but I have not been able to identify the tartan.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast