X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking the Mrs. total and complete turnaround

Well, I put on the semi-dress sporran and the hose and flashes and slapped on a tie (not a tartan tie, Hamish, it was solid color...see I DO listen!) and went to the Symphony on Thursday with the Mrs. It was the Cleveland Symphony doing a Dvorak and Bartok program...it was wonderful. Anyway, being kilted I got a number of subtle looks, some not so subtle looks and a thumbs up by the parking lot guy, but only one comment.

We were on the way out and a gentleman said he'd just come back from Wallace, near Stirling, and did I know where that was. Being somewhat familiar with the map, I said yes I knew where it was, though I'd never been there, and I hoped he'd had a nice trip.

He responded with..."what, never been there?" to which I said... "Hey, I was born in California. I'm wearing the kilt because I have some Scottish ancestors." His response..."Oh, I thought you'd had some sort of *real* connection, when I saw the kilt."

I was going to just shrug it off, I mean, I've never seen the guy before in my life and will never see him again, but my wife just jumped on him.

"He's a member of Clan MacNaughton and has every right to wear a kilt!" She says. "And I happen to like it"...she snapped.

whoa. *WHOA*

This is from the woman who in January when I stepped out of my room for the first timewith a kilt on was furious and upset because it was too "girly".

I think I married a good 'un.
    Last edited by Alan H; 4th June 05 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definetly got a good 'un Alan. It is great to go the symphony while kilted, especially when you get those comments from your wife.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a turnaround Alan, great news and congrats to your wife for standing up for her man!!

I've had a few comments from people thinking that because I'm not Scottish I shouldn't be wearing the kilt. They are amazed that I've never even been to Scotland (a matter I will correct in a four weeks).

The last guy who said that I told him that he was wearing denim jeans...I asked him if he was American? He said 'point taken'.
    We have a lot of Indians and Muslims in Australia who like to wear their national dress, so why shouldn't we wear that which pertains to our heritage, no matter how distant?
    When people ask if I'm Scottish (or Irish) I often say "isn't everyone?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUTSTANDING!
    now if we can just have the patience to let the rest of the world come around!
    LOL
    macG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! I'm soo happy for the both of you!
    [B]Paul Murray[/B]
    Kilted in Detroit! Now that's tough.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How I envy you Alan - I get nothing but grief these days from my Mrs regarding kilt wearing so it has become very limited. There was a time a while back when I also thought she was beginning to accept it, but alas, no more. Hope things stay positive for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock On Alan!

Rob

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great News Alan!

Sounds sort of naval...the crew can criticize the ship, but if anyone, not a crew member, criticizes the ship there's hell to pay.

Good for her.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beverlonian
    How I envy you Alan - I get nothing but grief these days from my Mrs regarding kilt wearing so it has become very limited. There was a time a while back when I also thought she was beginning to accept it, but alas, no more. Hope things stay positive for you.
    That's hard, mate. Sometimes you have to make the best of a difficult situation. The call on how to do that isn't so easy an is ifferent in every situation..

Good luck, my friend.

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it!

I just hope it isn't and example of what Ron mentioned. i.e. She might criticize you and your kilt, but she resents anyone ELSE casting aspersions on her husband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast