X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does my chanter sound like crap?

I took lessons as a boy. I've honestly forgotten much of it except the basics.

I found my old Green Book in my pian bench and decided to refresh my memory. I picked up my chanter for the forst time in...well...too long.

I bought a new Gibson practise chanter reed.

It's a vast improvement over the stock reed that came with my chanter, which sounds like a step above a duck call rather than a musical instrument.

Here's my question:

Why does it sound out of tune?

I've recorded with this thing before (overdubs and padding for ambiance, not serious piping) and used Autotune to make it 'fit' with the other instruments.

I've used electrical tape over the holes to bring the pitches closer but I suspect that the holes were done shoddily...

Any thoughts?

Apologies, Photobucket constantly flips my photos.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the chanter. I'm guessing it cost somewhere between $15 and $25? That style chanter is typically Pakistan-made and doesn't actually pitch well. I've heard some where the scale played on that was nowhere near the actual bagpipe scale.

Invest in a Gibson, McCallum, or other poly, British-, US-, or Canadian-made practice chanter. It will sound better (correct) and that one change will make a huge difference in how much you want to play.
    Last edited by chasem; 22nd June 14 at 05:21 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to chasem For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you chasem, its the Pakistan made chanter. Drop the Pakistan and invest in a Gibson,McCallum, or other poly chanters.
    hag

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to hag For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! Thank you, gents, for all of your valuable advice!

The reed is a Gibson. I bought it from a piping supply store, don't recall which.

I play the feadóg (Irish Whistle) and the amount of air required is significantly more than that. I've noticed that it's best that I not try to play both back-to-back, kind of like drumming and playing guitar. Drums then guitar usually equals mush. Guitar then drums is usually okay, though. The body requires some "reset" time.

Serious props to you guys who march and pipe!

Yes. Very interested in Skype lessons. I'll PM you, POTP.

So...longer chanter is closer to a bagpipe chanter. Got it. I'd like to get proficient enough to invest in a set of pipes but that's definately a long way off. Not in a hurry.

Why don't they just make PCs to the same specs as the GHB chanter to begin with?
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bren , greetings my friend !

I can certainly understand your frustration with the practice chanter you are using . In my own humble opinion , I don't think you will get satisfaction with it , regardless of the reed .

The " practice chanter " is just as important as the set of pipes one chooses . It begins at the beginning ,

Some practice chanters are longer , some not , but the important thing to remember .... a good practice chanter will result in good piping . ( well sometimes )
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Why don't they just make PCs to the same specs as the GHB chanter to begin with?
    Well, the short answer is it's a difference in the bore of the chanter. Most PC's have a cylindrical bore (the interior diameter is the same all the way through) while the bagpipe chanter has a conical bore (the interior diameter at the top of the chanter is much narrower than at the bottom).

The difference being necessary for both volume and pressure. The narrower the bore, the more pressure is needed to sound a note - not that we blow/squeeze any harder for the higher pitch notes on the GHB, but it takes more pressure for the note to sound. That's also why the higher pitched notes are quieter (relatively speaking) on the GHB than on the PC.

If the PC bore were conical, the blowing pressure would vary greatly from note to note, and the student would have a much more difficult time learning to play (and the beastie's a challenge enough already!). Having a cylindrical bore allows the player to concentrate less on blowing and more on learning finger technique and tune.
    John

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just judging from the photo, it looks to me as though your chanter is of Pakistani origin. These are notorious for their poor workmanship and lousy sound. The pure white, plastic mouthpiece is usually a strong indicator of the chanter's origin. As far as I know, Pakistani makers are the only ones who ever used that type of mouthpiece. Also the fact that the chanter doesn't appear to have any maker's name stamped on it suggests Pakistani origin. If this is so, it will likely never sound in tune, regardless of the reed you put in it. I suspect that you are quite right in saying "the holes were done shoddily." If you are serious about taking up the pipes, you should get yourself a practice chanter from a reputable maker, e.g. Gibson, Dunbar, MacCallum, Naill to name just four of the most popular. Another problem may be that Gibson's practice chanter reeds often require some manipulation before they will play in tune in a given chanter. Gibson has a couple of videos on Youtube explaining how to work his reeds for the best results. Just search for "Gibson reeds" on Youtube. It's worth a try before spending for a new chanter.
    Last edited by imrichmond; 22nd June 14 at 12:16 PM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same chanter, and though fun for making noise, it's just not in tune. I've heard the same said for saxophones made in the Far East, then assembled in the U.S. the scales in the East have a greater number of overtones not recognized in western chromatic or diatonic scales.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About ten years ago I was gifted with a chanter that looks the same as yours. I couldn't get it to do anything other than sound like a duck being killed slowly. I resolved to get a "real" chanter and on a road trip stopped in at a bagpipe shop ready to spend up to $300 for quality. The owner took my cheapo chanter and played it beautifully...he handed it back to me and said it was fine. He lost an easy sale. I figure I just don't have the talent. Now I'm thinkin' maybe a quality chanter would have helped. I do have only 75% lung capacity after years of smoking, working with asbestos (pre-OSHA), and underground mining.

The dream remains though...

Can't hurt to trade up - its only money....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, as a sort of joke, I was gifted with a chanter just like that one. It sounded awful. Squeaky, squawky, and out of tune.

I put it in my closet and forgot about it.

Several years later, I took up learning in earnest. I fought a Gibson practice chanter and began studying with my local band.

A couple years after that I found that old, Pakistani chanter in my closet. On a whim I pulled it out and gave it a whirl. It sounded.....not great, but okay. Playable. Tunes were recognizable.

I suspect that these are much more sensitive to steady pressure and proper technique than a properly bored chanter.

So...I'll repeat the previous recommendations. Get a good PC, Gibson or Dunbar or McCallum. Polypenco is fine. No need to spring for blackwood.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast