X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vestiarium Scoticum - the tartan Pandora's box

The Vestiarium Scoticum was the first book to be published dedicated to tartan, it opened the flood gates and one could argue that things have gone downhill since this was published.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VS 1842.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	27836

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an interesting viewpoint. But when you consider that many (or most) of the tartans it includes were figments of the authors’ imaginations, I would suggest that later works are more reliable, even if not as accurate or as comprehensive as one might like.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    That is an interesting viewpoint. But when you consider that many (or most) of the tartans it includes were figments of the authors’ imaginations, I would suggest that later works are more reliable, even if not as accurate or as comprehensive as one might like.
    Later works were certainly more reliable insofar as they generally included setts that existed prior to the VS although their accuracy was often wanting. This was often the result of early printing inconsistancies, bleeding of the plates' colours, that resulted in all sorts of variations that led to later confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite its dubious nature, I've always found it as an interesting historical document. Not for its accuracy of course, but because it is an example of what I like to call "invented history". The fact that it a commercial document that filled a need/demand at the time makes it all the more interesting as it was a history people were willing and wanted to buy into.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the interesting things about the VS, if interesting is the right word, is the fact that if one takes in the earlier Cromarty Mss into account then this masterpiece of deception took nearly 15 years to get off the ground. So far as I know, this was the first example of tartans being designed by non-weavers which goes some way to explaining some of the incosistancies and often garish designs.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very far from a tartan expert in any sense, but as an interested observer I find the whole story of tartans rather amusing, particularly the shady antics of the two brothers. Personally I have no problem with their designs, from a technical point, they are what they are and well, someone had to design the tartans, so why not a brace of con artists? Scotland's tourist industry thrives on not so much "invented" history, but certainly an "adjusted" version of our history, so tartans are a continuation of that in my view. Strangely, I and many Scottish kilt wearers of our chosen tartan, whilst being mildly aware of some of our Clan tartans' dubious start in life are still very possessive of it nonetheless. I also think most are blissfully unaware of their tartan's-----any tartan---- origin! Which brings me to the questions Peter.

As I have never seen what is contained within those pages, how many designs are contained within and how many of the designs of tartans in those books are actually produced and worn today?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th April 16 at 09:14 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that there were people employed by the early silent movie producers to throw in plot twists, escaped gorillas, runaway vehicles, men carrying unwieldy objects, to increase the pace of the storyline and make it more interesting to watch, even if entirely unlikely.

The VS was perhaps the equivalent of one of those introductions,

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: