X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly Mixed Emotions Meeting Another Gent in a Kilt

So, I live in a most remote Arizona city up in the canyonlands. Think I've met one other local who wore kilts a few years back. Occasionally meet a kilted tourist.

This past weekend I was at our local Walmart and ran into a gent in a kilt. At first felt bad I wasn't kilted myself, but wanted to support him so I complimented him and said I often wore kilts myself.

He wasn't much interested. He was an obese bear of a man - probably in his late 30s - who presented a very disheveled, scruffy, appearance. Especially his kilt.

Didn't recognize the tartan, a bright blue tartan of some sort. A wrap around Velcro fastening kilt. The way he wore it the kilt was all askew and rumpled. The rumpled part fit with the rest of his clothing and "mountain man visiting the city" appearance.

I had thought about pitching X Marks to him but he obviously didn't care about kilting beyond comfort for himself.

So, it was good to see a fellow gent in a kilt, but sad that he seemed to disrespect the kilt.

since he said he wore the kilt for comfort and as needed one of those in-store sit down electric shopping carts. Perhaps he also used a wheelchair.

As he drove off in the power cart I found myself hoping he was from out-of-town...

And found myself appreciating this rabble that respects the kilt.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 11th April 21 at 08:27 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We on X Marks are often derided on other sites as being too traditional and stuck-up about how we dress.

OK, I can see that. Fine, there is room in this world for all types and styles.

I do often wish that there were others like myself on the forum who are not into wearing kilts for the history and heritage aspect. But by this time I'm pretty used to dressing my way and being the only one. I get to be looked down upon by the "uber-traditionalists" and the "uber-macho" groups equally.

But at least I present my myself in public with a bit of pride in how I look and with respect to the lady next to me. And in all honesty, I feel that that is what makes X Marks different, unique and why I like our community.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is responsible for their own agency. I don't get upset when folks dress horribly in pants, buttoned shirts, etc. Why should I care if they wear a kilt poorly? That has no reflection on me, nor should it. If a gentleman was at a Scottish function, and clearly, they meant to dress correctly, but missed the mark on something, I may politely give some advice; no one going to a dressed up event wants to feel embarrassed. But whether or not they choose to take that advice... once again... a poorly turned out fellow, is no reflection on me.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    We on X Marks are often derided on other sites as being too traditional and stuck-up about how we dress.

I do often wish that there were others like myself on the forum who are not into wearing kilts for the history and heritage aspect. But by this time I'm pretty used to dressing my way and being the only one. I get to be looked down upon by the "uber-traditionalists" and the "uber-macho" groups equally.

But at least I present my myself in public with a bit of pride in how I look and with respect to the lady next to me. And in all honesty, I feel that that is what makes X Marks different, unique and why I like our community.
    "Too traditional and stuck up about how we dress." That is, I suppose, how some might see it that way and when all is said and done, most of us on this website and elsewhere, have the privilege of making a choice on how we choose to dress. The military do have dress regulations of one sort or another but civilians don't. There are however dress conventions though and whether we like it or not there are social expectations on what is worn for certain events. These conventions vary from Country to Country and is possibly influenced by the climate, a more liberal attitude to attire and ignorance. Kilt attire is no exception to these social requirements either.

What I see on this website more than anything else, but not exclusively, is a wish and need to understand the traditional thinking of Scottish kilt attire by the many. What I don't see, here on this website, is a wish to follow slavishly traditional kilt attire and the conventions that go with it.

What I also see, is a need from many of the members here to understand traditional kilt attire and its conventions and then adapt that knowledge to their own particular circumstances. In doing that, from my point of view, is that some are more successful in doing so than others. Nevertheless the privilege of choice has prevailed.

Now if advice has genuinely been asked for, then those that might have a helpful contribution to make do so, even if its unpopular and sometimes unhelpful is the inevitable result on a healthy website such as this. But, BUT, I reject the discription of this website being "stuck up" outright.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th April 21 at 12:49 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been open to "edge of the envelope and beyond" but at least in a comfortable, NOT slovenly way.

What was sad about this guy was IF I'd been kilted too I'd have never asked him for a picture together. Just too rugged.

If I had it to do all over again I might have suggested he try a pareo so he wouldn't have to sit on the pleats so would be more comfortable.

Not a good example to my neighbors of what a kilted gent normally looks like.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a different way to look at this. I’m coming at this from the perspective of someone who has been around disability his entire life. We do not know what the gentlemen is going through, we do not know what his disability is if any. Therefore we can not judge. Personally I do take pride in my kilt and as an aside my twin brother who does have a disability was married in a kilt but said after that he would not wear it again as it did not work with his disability. All I’m saying is perhaps to be a bit more understanding of what could be a very difficult situation. Also it’s still a pandemic so someone with a compromised immune system may be reticent to discuss anything with a stranger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wanted to look sloppy and disheveled in a Kilt, I don't think I would need any advice!

Dave

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, I have to agree.

When XMTS is mentioned on other forums it is considered quite traditional with history and heritage playing a major role. Also, that those wearing their kilts for these reasons might seem to dominate it.

But, as a matter of fact, I think there are many members out there, to whom history and heritage play little or no role at all, simply because they, like me and you, as I understand it, do not have Scottish roots. We are just wearing our kilts for comfort, difference, variety, versatility, looks, and the difference it makes. How else could it be?

The kilt being to us a wonderful garment rather than part of our heritage implies that we may not follow "rules" in detail but are let by taste. Taste is not always good. That we know by just looking around.
    The strange thing is, that when it is about men in jeans or shorts or a bad fitting business suit, we don’t care, and we don’t think we should address the problem and give advice. How come then that it is so bad, seeing a man wearing a cheap kilt, maybe in a wrong way? And even, like in this tread, be called disrespecting the kilt.
    Do I disrespect blue jeans, and even the American people, if I wear ugly ones? Do I disrespect the kilt if I am not wearing a sporran, or my Hugo Boss polo shirt is not tucked in?

Having no Scottish events to attend to me kilt wearing is casual-first. Must be. And according to what I think is good taste. Having no Scottish roots, I should consider it dishonest, should I, a Dane, pretend to be Scottish. My aim is to be considered just a man in a kilt.

I have been away from this forum but have recently come back. I think it is a great one, with so many wise and good contributions, showing great enthusiasm. And knowing about rules is certainly not a bad thing. At least then you know when you are breaking them.
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to GG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this thread when it first went up, and wrote a rather hasty reply. When reviewing, I thought better of it. While I agree, slovenly or disheveled kilts look particularly bad, I didn't feel right chiming in about it.

I'm a member a couple of different forums, one of which is for folks who like a certain brand of pocket knives. This particular brand of pocket knives has innovated quite a bit in the last 40 years, enough that many competitors have imitated them. The founder of the company, and chief innovator, is active on the forum. For the first few years of the forum, it was common for some folks to deride other competing companies for imitating (or outright copying) the founder's work.

About 15 years ago, he asked members of the forum to remove taglines and signatures which derided the competitors. He told an anecdote about trying to "leave shiny footprints," wherever he went, and asked us to follow that example. It's been a remarkably successful "guideline" on that forum ever since.

I've benefited quite a bit from the wisdom and generosity of the folks on the XMarks forum. While I can't repay it to those who are well beyond me, I'll do my best to pass on the favor to those who could benefit, or are interested, and do my best to "simply scroll past" something I find irksome.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 18th April 21 at 05:02 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have, to the best of my knowledge, not an ounce of Scottish blood in me. I wear a kilt because I love the comfort, style, appearance, and difference. I have a deep affection for Scotland.

I am well aware that I am 'borrowing' what is considered someone else's heritage and national dress. That is uppermost in my mind and I try hard to not dishonor what is not mine. I have a PhD in being scruffy, but when kilted I am smartly turned out. The shoes are always clean and polished, and great trouble is taken to look right.

That being said, we are all different and we plow our own furrows. I am happy with what I do, but I would not put down someone who has an outlook on life that does not match mine.
    I am a traditionalist with no hint at all of Scottish ancestry, but with a love of the kilt.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to xpc316e For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast