X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuathanach View Post
    So if one was going to try this, how would one start?? I have seen that some folks actually have some kind of machine that makes socks, but apparently that is not necessary? What are the essential pieces of equipment needed?? How do you get the patterns to use the first time?
    The old fashioned hand knitting method was using slender rods with a point at each end - refered to as DPN - double pointed needles, but it can be like wrestling a hedgehog if you are not brought up to the idea.
    The DPNs allow for knitting round and round, and you can do fancy things on the way around, so as to make columns of patterning, or even use different colours.
    There is an option to do complicated things on a flat piece of knitting which is then sewn into a tube to form the leg of the hose, and the foot can be done in the round - not having a seam makes it more comfortable in many cases. It doesn't matter for me as I can do seams so cunningly that they are almost invisible, but I need a good light and magnifying glass these days.
    Do you have access to yarn and needles?
    If you let me know the thickness of the yarn, or what it says on the band to advise on the normal number of stitches and rows, and the size of the needles I can probably find you a pattern to try out for something simple to start with - I have lots already or I can make one up.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: