So in going back and doing genealogy one finds all sorts of strange questions. Here is mine. My family has always celebrated and maintained our Scottish heritage. Our family "lore" basically the verbal history of the family as it has been passed down. Says we came from the Morrisons of Lewis. My family has always had copies of the sailing papers of our first US immigrant. He sailed from Liverpool and in his US immigration papers his country of origin was Scotland. This is as much as anyone was able to find for decades and it didn't particularly contest the belief that we were from the Highlands if not Lewis itself albeit that's a long way to go to catch a boat. A DNA test on my father shows that is not the case. I'm adopted so my DNA is useless in this respect. As more information has come available we have found that as of the 1790 our family is from northern Yorkshire, The only way to go any farther back is to travel over to England/Scotland and find sources that aren't online. The conundrum is, why did the sailing papers say Scotland when they were from England. Did that border move more regularly than I realize? Would people who lived On the English side of the border consider themselves Scots and vice versa?