X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is a cautionary tale in the making.
    Check out Ringo’s website for Henderson stamps when pipes are not Henderson specs. https://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/the...derson-or-not/
    The ebay pipes do not line up with Henderson specs. The tenor tops are a giveaway with only a total of 4 beads and the Lawrie Classic scribe line on the blank.see here for Ringo’s reference
    https://i0.wp.com/www.thebagpipemuse...1%2C1000&ssl=1

Yeah…the silver and ivory are worth the coin…but not the pipes. The wood is not made to Henderson specs….inside or out. Chances of these pipes sounding like Henderson is a gamble I would not take.

Long story made short….the buyer is will get some quality silver and ivory and a set of pipes stamped Henderson that are not made by Henderson,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up comment….
    Someimes, you can find some real deals on eBay bagpipes. If you do not know your subject matter….you can get burned.
    Are these Greg Sharp era Henderson, Lawrie-made?
    I feel sorry for whomever buys this eBay set of non-Henderson pipes. The Henderson stamp appears on pipes in at least 3 instances: made by; sold by; forgeries. The last 2 categories of Henderson-stamped pipes have been around for years and more will continue to pop up…and unsuspecting buyers will be taken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s a link to a set of 1964 Henderson pipes from Greg Sharp era. Note 6 beads and Henderson style beading/combing….and the Sharp-characteristic thick beading on the ferrules.
    https://www.cascadiabagpiper.com/for...erson-bagpipes

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Toxpert For This Useful Post:

JPS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pipes!

Yes that's what I've been told, the really good 1950s Hendersons have fat beads on the ferrules.

I didn't know it was connected to the Greig Sharp era, thanks!

Only problem is that those beads only appear on full ivory or full imitation ivory sets.

There's a certain style of wood projecting mount I associate with Hendersons of that era, I've seen several sets, but I don't know if there was a particular period when all their wood-mount sets used that pattern, or if it was just one of a number of patterns they made concurrently.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th June 24 at 09:56 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the “Henderson” set sold for a bit over $2,000 USD. Not a bad price for just the silver and mounts. The pipes are not turned in the classic Henderson style. The story is over for now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes sometimes just the silver is worth the price!

As a piper friend said "I had a set of silver remounted with new wood".
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

JPS

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021