X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    …hmm maybe I could go over and lie to them?
    Bad policy and best avoided.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard of that book before but I doubt it’s something I’d do anytime soon, is it possible to buy cheap tartan and give it to a kilt maker though?
    I'm trying to figure out what "cheap tartan" would be.

If you're talking about Pakistani fabric, it's just not suited for making the sort of kilt that a good traditional kiltmaker would make.

I don't think any kiltmaker worth their salt would agree to use such stuff.

It would be like hiring a good builder to make an extension to your house, but insist they use warped rotten flimsy wood.

Tat goes with tat, and quality goes with quality: tat tartan and crude machine-sewing for a tat kilt, legitimate UK-woven kilting fabric and traditional hand-stitching for a quality kilt.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Bad policy and best avoided.

Cheers,

SM
    How can I explain to them that it’s more then just an “expensive skirt” then?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I explain to them that it’s more then just an “expensive skirt” then?
    I would venture to guess that most this forum wear kilts as an expression of their Scottish heritage, often to Scottish cultural events (Highland games, Burns Suppers, etc.). Others have no cultural connection but just like the way they look or feel. You may fall into the latter category. It’s up to you to explain to your parents why you are interested in obtaining what is undeniably an expensive garment.

As you are young person who is still living at home with your parents, and are dependent upon them financially or otherwise, then it would be wise to comply with their wishes. (“Their house, their rules.”) That would give you time to save for a proper kilt, and might allow you time to consider whether it’s something you really want to pursue, or whether it’s a passing fancy — which may be your parent’s concern.

Once you’re on your own and living independently, then there will be nothing to keep you from pursuing the purchase of a kilt should you still desire to do so.

Take a pause to consider your motivations, do a bit of research, shop around and consider the good advice you’ve been given thus far. And in this and all things, act with integrity. As Davy Crockett said, “Be sure you are right, then go ahead.”

Cheers,

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 26th May 24 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would venture to guess that most this forum wear kilts as an expression of their Scottish heritage, often to Scottish cultural events (Highland games, Burns Suppers, etc.). Others have no cultural connection but just like the way they look or feel. You may fall into the latter category. It’s up to you to explain to your parents why you are interested in obtaining what is undeniably an expensive garment.

As you are young person who is still living at home with your parents, and are dependent upon them financially or otherwise, then it would be wise to comply with their wishes. (“Their house, their rules.”) That would give you time to save for a proper kilt, and might allow you time to consider whether it’s something you really want to pursue, or whether it’s a passing fancy — which may be your parent’s concern.

Once you’re on your own and living independently, then there will be nothing to keep you from pursuing the purchase of a kilt should you still desire to do so.

Take a pause to consider your motivations, do a bit of research, shop around and consider the good advice you’ve been given thus far. And in this and all things, act with integrity. As Davy Crockett said, “Be sure you are right, then go ahead.”

Cheers,

SM
    I’m English born but my grandmom was Irish so that’s how I justify kilt, the history of the Irish and kilts is interesting too.

Honestly I’m surprised I managed to get any kilt in the first place, I was full well expecting them to kick me out for “being gay” or something, they make jokes and that’s it, I don’t get how it can be their rules when it’s my bank account, I’ve made my parents buy me some right crap when I was younger (I really wanted a windows tablet and my dad spent a ton of money on one that was rubbish, now you can get one that’s actually decent for much cheaper) a kilt, however is not bound by moores law and being myself has always been an interest of mine.

Maybe I’ll buy off kilts4less or some other ex hire place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t really like the concept of used kilts, what if someone’s worn nothing under it?
    As long as you're covered you should be OK. If you are buying an ex-hire kilt it might be dry cleaned before being put up for sale.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you are young person who is still living at home with your parents, and are dependent upon them financially or otherwise, then it would be wise to comply with their wishes.
    (“Their house, their rules.”)
    That would give you time to save for a proper kilt, and might allow you time to consider whether it’s something you really want to pursue, or whether it’s a passing fancy — which may be your parent’s concern.
    When I was in High School (here in the USA around age 15-18) a fellow student worked at McDonald's every summer, and having no expenses due to living with his parents, saved up enough to buy himself a Scottish-made silver & ivory mounted bagpipe (around $600 then, $4,000 today). He knew he was always going to be a piper and that it was a lifetime investment.

50 years on he still plays those pipes.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having made quite a few kilts for myself now I discovered one major consideration which is not often mentioned is that a kilt needs to have some strong underpinnings in order to remain wearable.
    I have used fabrics more fragile than the good quality wools usually employed, and learned to add in a little ease to take the strain off the outer layer so the fell doesn't become stretched or damaged and the aprons don't start to look threadbare.
    It takes some time and wear, but wool is malleable and will eventually distort.

If having a kilt made, you need to find someone who will create a sturdy enough structure to hold the weight of the kilt, and when making for yourself you need to factor in the purchase of the lining and canvas, and the fastenings - up to three buckles and straps, or a minimum of two fastenings, and the time to get a good fit plus constructing and attaching the layers.

I have seen one Welsh cilt where there was no strengthening material and if held up to the light there were tiny holes beside every stitch in the fell. It had stretched under the strain of just a few wearings, but the supposedly professional maker maintained that his work was up to normal standards.

If you can get shirts of an old fashioned length and style then underwear is far more optional when when wearing a modern short shirt. My dad's mother was a Wilson and some of her ancestors were 'cleared' off their land. She made almost everything he wore up until he was called up for service in the '39-45, which was the first time he'd had underpants.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly so, traditional kilts are made with an internal "stabiliser", a piece of canvas (which has no stretch to it) going inside the area where the pleats are stitched.

There's canvas lining which is anchored to the places where the buckles and straps attach so that the stress is taken by the canvas, not by the wool.

If you don't have that the wool keeps stretching and stretching the more the kilt is worn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check out St. Kilda’s clearance page. They have some made-to-measure kilts available in the £180-300 range though you may be limited on tartan choices, length, or yardage. Worth a look though.

And, while being in the UK would make shipping a bit on the expensive side, USA Kilts polyviscose (PV) Casual Kilts are inexpensive and much better than any acrylic kilts from Pakistan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast