X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Softening up a sporran

My wife bought Stillwater's basic back 3 tassel sporran for me for my birthday last year. I like it but it is really stiff. (oh -- its this one:
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Sti...ther%20Sporran)

Is there anyway to soften up the leather a bit to make it easier to stash things in it?

Tony

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, talk about a set up for a thousand responses with dos, don'ts, and how-tos...

I'll toss out what I've come to prefer for leather

Chilhowee Buffalo Butter with Shea Butter Advanced Leather Conditioner and Restorer.

http://www.chilhowee.net/leather-care/BB001.html
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the photo, I'm inclined to think that that is one of those sporrans that's meant to have a stiff face and back and the only part that has flexibility is the gusset. If you want to stuff everything into a sporran, you have to look at the "Rob Roy" type which is more of a soft leather pouch that can open up and accommodate all your stuff.

One of our kilted brethren recently posted a shot of a "Rob Roy" type sporran that he was making wherein he managed to get the entire pouch section over his entire head...looked like some kind of a Viking football helmet but it proved that the sporran was capacious.

Check out our sponsoring vendors for that type of sporran...look at Turp's Thorfinn Sporrans for an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.thorfinnsporrans.com/3.html

Other than that, you might consider getting an auxiliary belt pouch to hold the overflow.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any leather balm will help. Just don't spend more for the leather conditioner than the sporran. And if you're kilted, put something protective over your lap before you start! That was how I immediately proved that my new SWK was washable.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auld argonian View Post
    Looking at the photo, I'm inclined to think that that is one of those sporrans that's meant to have a stiff face and back and the only part that has flexibility is the gusset. If you want to stuff everything into a sporran, you have to look at the "Rob Roy" type which is more of a soft leather pouch that can open up and accommodate all your stuff.

One of our kilted brethren recently posted a shot of a "Rob Roy" type sporran that he was making wherein he managed to get the entire pouch section over his entire head...looked like some kind of a Viking football helmet but it proved that the sporran was capacious.

Check out our sponsoring vendors for that type of sporran...look at Turp's Thorfinn Sporrans for an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.thorfinnsporrans.com/3.html

Other than that, you might consider getting an auxiliary belt pouch to hold the overflow.

Best

AA
    Good advice. I think the pic you're referring to would be me, in my sporran WIP #3-4 thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    The new bag... it's big. People joke about getting their head in theirs... well, I gave #3 a test early this AM and here's the result.

I AM BAGMAN!

This thing even fits over my gigantic, rectangular 7 5/8 noggin! When cinched up it's not too big, but it seems HUGE with the mouth open.
    Back OT, one word of caution on the conditioning. I'm unfamiliar with SWK's basic sporran, but most bags in that price category aren't 'leather' but leather board- which is a thin lamination of leather glued to a panel made up of shredded bits of leather all glued and pressed together.

(If I'm wrong about Jerry's, my apologies, I don't mean to call into question HIS product's quality, but mean this as a general message of caution).

This type of leather can de-laminate with the added moisture of a conditioner (or too much bending). Also, the gusset material should be moisturized with care, some of the gussets I've seen are too thin and fragile to be moisturized and not deform.

If you have a Tandy Leather store nearby, you might wish to consult the manager (bring the sporran along), they're usually amazingly helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of those and it is not designed to be softened up. I would suggest leaving it alone and if you like the pouch type to contact one of our vendors or members that make that type.
    Greg Livingston
    Commissioner
    Clan MacLea (Livingstone)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, but that's not real leather...even though it's made of leather bits. Bending it too much will cause it to crack, and anything you put on it which is absorbed is likely to weaken the bond holding the material together.

A real leather sporran starts around 100$, generally, for a very simple design, and the texture and ductility are substantially different. Sporrans are expensive in part because leather is expensive, and hand work is very expensive...

-Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the other posts. Even a good leather conditioner isint going to soften that. Cant expect amazing things when you spend so little, though it is a good starter sporran. I had one simialr when I started. Good for my wallet and keys, but thats about it. You can pick up some of the Rob Roy styles for very reasonable prices, I made mine and love it.

Bishop