X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kilt Kops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    I don't know what Irish Jack meant but this is the kind of thing that bothers me.

How easily it is, once started...once allowed...for things to degenerate into vitriol.

A previous poster suggested that most of the references to "kilt police" refer to people off the forum. Some do. Most, in my experience, don't. Most are, in fact, located in discussions that reference Traditional Kilt wear. In one way or another, they are all saying, by implication if not directly, that anyone who comments or criticizes about the appropriateness of wearing the kilt below the knees, for instance, is somehow illiberal or even...as you say...fascist.

To my mind it just flies in the face of everything this forum says it's about...flies in the face of all the self-congratulatory posturing about respect and tolerance and gentlemanly behaviour...to indulge in this kind of petty name-calling, no matter who it's aimed at.
    Admittedly, I don't look at the traditional subforum too often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I've been away from the interwebs. But I see some explanation of my post is in order.

First, as to the "Kilten Polizei" comment: I really need to get a handle on the emoticon thing. It was meant as a joke based on the 'Kilt Polis' post. I did not mean it to refer to fascism (unless there was a hidden "Godwin's Law" wish in there somewhere.)

Second, as to name-calling, I do not consider the term 'Kilt Kops' name-calling. It's a joking descriptive term, unlike "kilt cretins" which I do consider name-calling.

Third, my original point was that the Highlanders' disapproval of the wearing of the kilt by any but a Highlander (which position I have seen repeatedly held in this forum) was a hurtful idea to the world-wide Scottish diaspora. That is true. When I first came to understand my Scottish ancestry, I thought that the wearing of the kilt was a great way to honor my ancestors. And when I first came to XMTS, I thought that I would find Scots and Scots descendants who would welcome those who wanted to honor their heritage. I have bucked the idea that I am not worthy of wearing my ancestors tartan for these many months. I was naive.

Between my post of yesterday and today, I have changed my tune. Only Highlanders currently living in Scotland or first generation offspring of full-bred Highlanders, but living outwith Scotland have a right to wear the clan tartan of their father's name. All others are poseurs playing at being Scot.

This change has come because of a conversation I had this evening with a gentleman residing in Texas, but whose parents live in Aberdeen. He holds essentially the exact same views as Jock Scot, and he assured me that virtually all Highlanders hold the view that the so-called diaspora are far removed from Scotland and that it is a mockery of Highlandism to see an outlander in the kilt. He said other things, but that was the essence.

So, I give. I'm not a Highlander. I'm a Texan. I will probably wear the kilt at my family reunion, and at the occasional Celtic Festival, but otherwise, I am putting it up. Also, I will visit this forum less often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jack O'Brian View Post

he assured me that virtually all Highlanders hold the view that the so-called diaspora are far removed from Scotland and that it is a mockery of Highlandism to see an outlander in the kilt. He said other things, but that was the essence.
    So what if they do believe that? You'd change how you dress because some people 4,000 miles away don't approve?? You'd better change your religion and political views while you're at it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . .Highlandism. . .
    Hmm. Remarkably apropos term.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second, as to name-calling, I do not consider the term 'Kilt Kops' name-calling. It's a joking descriptive term, unlike "kilt cretins" which I do consider name-calling.
    Well, with all due respect, it seems a bit convenient and self-pardoning to excuse one term but not the other. I suppose it depends on whose ox is being gored. But of course that's the point I've been making all along.

So, I give. I'm not a Highlander. I'm a Texan. I will probably wear the kilt at my family reunion, and at the occasional Celtic Festival, but otherwise, I am putting it up. Also, I will visit this forum less often.
    That seems extreme--a knee-jerk reaction. But I have to wonder if you really understand Jock and where he's coming from. I've found myself wondering this a lot on this forum over the years and wondering too if those who don't understand simply don't want to understand.

Of course if you truly believe all that you've written here, it begs the question, doesn't it...is Jock a Kilt Kop or a Kilt policeman?

PS, and neither here nor there...I sympathize with you. I have been making western (cowboy) boots for over 40 years. But I live in Oregon. For most of those 40 years I wore boots and hats and pearl snap shirts buttoned to the neck. I have had a number of native Texans order my boots and even more seek me out to take seminars in how to make cowboy boots. But several well known Texas bootmakers told me I would never be a Texas bootmaker (doh!). In the last five years I have taken to wearing shoes exclusively and a flat cap. I never felt I was unworthy, I just didn't want to be associated with the Texas attitude.
    Last edited by DWFII; 10th September 11 at 09:18 PM.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    Hmm. Remarkably apropos term.
    Yeah, I got a chuckle out of the "Highlandism" reference. "I do not think it means what you think it means"
    I think a lot of folks on this forum could benefit from reading two very enlightening books, 'The Invention of Tradition' and 'Highland Heritage', where that word is used quite a bit.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    "I do not think it means what you think it means"
    Inconceivable!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirs View Post
    Inconceivable!!
    Ya beat me to it.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read 'Highland Heritage' and it was amusing and insightful at the same time. I have never attended a Highland Games or Celtic festival since I do not like crowded events. I wear the kilt on formal occaisons about four times a year and the rest of the time I wear one with a T-shirt and crocs around the house and shop.
    When most refer to highland tradition they are thinking of the Victorian Walter Scott romaticized version. My idea of it goes much farther back than that, I remember my grandfather toasting "the wee gentleman in velvet." The last ancestor of mine that left Scotland during the clearances, landed in Canada and worked as a logger. Different branches of the family tree left at different times some before the 45' some after but all were Jacobites. My mother has traced our roots to Flodden and beyond. That is the heritage I speak of, not white hose is a no no, or your kilt is too short. I could care less if a first or second generation Scot say I have no right to wear the kilt or that it should not be worn out of Scotland. I have had a drink or two with Vicount Dunrossil right here in Texas and he was kilted and thought nothing of me being kilted. Scots are terse, blunt, gruff, grumpy, and opinionated. Native Scots may not like this "diaspora" that has spread worldwide. I respect their (Native Scots) opinion and I let it influence my actions only to the point that I try to represent my heritage in what I consider a respectful manner. On other post I may have put forth short terse response, and came back and tried to explain myself better latter on. I PMed those who might have put off by my comments.
    There have been a lot of I and me's in the first paragraph, now what about you? IMHO You should realize that everyone has an opinion, some can present it respectfully and some cannot. IMHO Not everyone who disagrees with you is arguing with you or passing judgement. No one has the right to tell you that you should not wear the kilt. ( Not backtracking here, I never said that but it was interpreted by others that I did) IMHO If you read something you do not think is right ask the poster to explain it. It is a discussion and should be treated like one.

Texas Jack O'Brian, I felt from your other postings that was not your intention and I apologize for not asking you before I used it as an example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    Ya beat me to it.
    I am still looking for the six-fingered man

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast