X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished this one. Damascus blade (already sharpened and brother, is it sharp…) rosewood and solid brass mounts. Pip top is nickel silver. It took a while to work the leather so that it formed to the blade. The Damascus is a little thicker than stainless blades. Something about the pictures makes the handle look thicker than it actually is. It fits really nicely in your hand and the way the ‘back side’ of both of them are, the top mount doesn’t rub against your knee.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

The angle is kinda exaggerated, but this is how back of the top of the handle kicks out from the knee:

IMG_1473.jpg
    Jim Sheaves - Clan Sinclair

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to wcsgorilla For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work!

For sharpening anything and everything look into the Work Sharp.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do y’all think of the thickness of the handles? Too thick, just right, too thin (gasp!)? Most of what I have to go by are the plastic handle ones I’ve wasted my money buying. And they just seem awfully thin to me. I mean, 3/8”? Even some of the more expensive ones (that still have plastic handles!) are no more than 1/2”. Does anyone have a ‘vintage’ sgian dubh? How big are those handles?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work, cousin!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsgorilla View Post
    What do y’all think of the thickness of the handles? Too thick, just right, too thin (gasp!)? Most of what I have to go by are the plastic handle ones I’ve wasted my money buying. And they just seem awfully thin to me. I mean, 3/8”? Even some of the more expensive ones (that still have plastic handles!) are no more than 1/2”. Does anyone have a ‘vintage’ sgian dubh? How big are those handles?
    Personally, I find that the thinner the handle, the more comfortable the sgian is to carry in my hose top. My favorite is 1/4", and the two others I carry most are about 3/8" thick. I measured my "fancy" sgian, and its handle is also a smidge over 3/8".

Nice work, by the way!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the one on the right made from? Looks like maybe it has a bone cap and guard?

So it sound like maybe I’m making them a little too ‘thick’? So if I’m going to possibly look at selling a few, l need to pare them down a little.. What about the width? Mine are just a smidge wider than the blades, so only about an inch and I taper them as the go to the cap to 7/8” or 3/4”. That seems to feel right to me. The one thing I don’t get is the decoration. I see everything from simple unadorned handles (which I prefer) to elaborately carved and bejeweled pieces. I’ve had several people tell me it’s all a matter of taste and there isn’t a traditional design. So I guess it’s all if you want a Chevy or a Ferrari?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsgorilla View Post
    What is the one on the right made from? Looks like maybe it has a bone cap and guard?
    The one on the right in the previous post, which appears on the far left in this image, is African Blackwood, German "silver" and 5160 steel.

As you can see, my little collection varies in style, but most are pretty simple. The one third from the left is my "go-to" sgian, and is the one that's only about 1/4" thick.

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that’s the one. I’m really a sucker for dark wood. That’s what I like about that Katalox, it’s almost black. But it has a purple tint to it too. And the dark wood always looks good with silver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the new ones I finished Sunday..

This one is again Katalox, but it is Curly Katalox. The pictures don't show the figuring very well, but it is really pronounced when you see it real. Same nickel silver mounts, but I added the dragon inlay, that's brass and black.

image_67143425.jpg

These do show the figuring a little better and the purple time it takes on in the light:

image_67179521.jpg

image_67180289.jpg

This one is Curly Plum with all brass mounts. Once it was all buffed out it turned a serious deep gold, almost bronze color. When you look at it from different angles the color changes and the figuring changes. Really crazy effect I wasn't expecting.

image_67183105.jpg

I could almost call this tiger striped instead of curly:

image_67168257.jpg

image_67136001.jpg

Going to something completely different next. Going to take ShaunMaxwell suggestion of:
    Personally, I find that the thinner the handle, the more comfortable the sgian is to carry in my hose top.
    making them a little thinner. I found the hardware to make a Regimental style Sgian Dubh. I have enough to make at least 3 or 4 I think. I have a bunch of black walnut for a couple of them. Instead of a leather sheath though, I'm going to use matching walnut so the grain pattern continues from the sheath to the handle and all the mounts will be inset into the wood so everything is flush and smooth.

Not sure what I'm going to do with all these things though! I'm just enjoying making them and blocking out the crazy world we live in these days!

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to wcsgorilla For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Personally, I find that the thinner the handle, the more comfortable the sgian is to carry in my hose top. My favorite is 1/4", and the two others I carry most are about 3/8" thick. I measured my "fancy" sgian, and its handle is also a smidge over 3/8".

Nice work, by the way!

Cheers,

SM
    I tried something like you were saying about a thinner sgian dubh and came up with this. It’s all matched black walnut. The graining continues from the top of the handle to the tip of the sheath. The handle is just over 7/16” at the guard and just under 3/8” at the crown. Much different from other ones I’ve made.

Kinda surprised at how light it is considering it is all walnut. And bro, let me tell ya, black walnut is a pain to work with..

IMG_1565.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast