X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen it before in some broadway musicals, looks very cool in a kilt

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Roman Catholic chiming in, as far as I've seen genuflecting is done at the end of a pew before entering the pew prior to the beginning of Mass and at the same spot when leaving the pew at the conclusion of Mass.

People generally don't genuflect when leaving or entering the pew during Communion.

This genuflecting isn't necessarily a "bow" per se because many people keep their upper body and head erect.

Then of course there's kneeling (on both knees) at certain points during the Mass for which the pews have kneelers, padded things.

Those not sitting in pews kneel on the floor. That can be painful for us old people! They should make special Catholic trousers with built-in knee pads. If wearing a kilt it's direct knee-to-floor, not fun.

The only "bows" (from the waist, knees not bent) are done, at least in our Diocese:

1) when taking Communion, which we do standing up, while the person in front of you is receiving the Host.

2) when passing in front of the altar while walking from one side of the church to the other after stopping and facing the altar.

When attending Episcopal services I have seen people face the Cross and bow their head during the Processional as the cross passes them in its trip down the centre aisle. I've picked this up and do it out of habit, though few Catholics appear to do this.

(Just a linguistic note, GEN is an Indo-European root that gives us GENeration proGENy and probably also KNee suggesting the image of a baby on the parent's knee.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th May 24 at 04:23 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father David gave a good bit of advice - keep one hand on the sporran.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12