X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New bonnet

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to hack together a video tomorrow - but don't hold me to it.
    All of my bonnets from Gloria were ordered with adjustable sizing, which is a piece of wool string woven into the rim. Even without the adjustable option, my experience is that the wool is pliable enough to stretch while it is hot and wet (giggidy), and definitely will shrink depending on how many times the jacking process is repeated. For instance, in these before and after pictures, the 'before' is how they are shipped - flat, all the same size. The 'after' is myself, about a 7 1/4 hat size, and my son, about a 6 3/4 hat size. I went through the whole process three times, I think, before it was small enough for him.

Before :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	30554

After:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	30553

As far as the actual shaping, it's all depends on what image you have in your minds eye. Like Luke said, shaving all the wild hairs after it's dry is a good idea. personally, I did not want the edge crease down the center of my head with the slack pulled to the side, so I was diligent (took a couple times) in leaving it quite wet/hot and getting a nice fold over the eye AND IN THE BACK - then pulling the slack and pressing against my head to make it smooth.
    An example of what I did not want, see the crease?

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	30552
    Last edited by Profane James; 2nd April 17 at 03:32 PM.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Luke MacGillie;1338201]Did you order it artifically aged, and or with the last skein in the dye pot look?

I agree its needs "Jocked?, and a good shave. I might even go so far as to try and blue it up with some Indigo dye.[/QUOTE

i ordered it that color. Why would you shave or dye it? I will wait for the video.

I have been shaving my head with a straight razor for a few years, but shaving a hat?

On a side note, I wore it in the rain today. If I were planning to wear it in such weather much I would not change it as it can be shifted in the direction of the wind to keep rain out of your face.

Yet I will change it as my wife thinks it looks a little French as is.
    Last edited by KMCMICHAEL; 2nd April 17 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize these pieces of headgear are used, or at least an attempt to look like what is being worn by actors in that popular TV series about time traveling folks in 18th Century Scotland.

But TV and the big screen are not real life. I pretty much view these hats as being about as appropriate for Scots as say, ivory handled samurai swords in the Highlands.....

So two things, I don't know what type of yarn was used in making this piece, but it does not look like the z twist worsted yarn that is pretty much universal across Northern European knitted headgear, Scots bonnets, French tuques and Dutch knit hats all pretty much use the same yarns. It has all those wild hairs going everywhere that just does not look good IMHO.

On the color, the song does not say steel grey or robin egg colored bonnets going over the border, it says blue. Surviving examples of period bonnets, as well as period imagery show bonnets that are medium blue to dark, almost blackish in color. So for me, and me alone, a historic bonnet must be a darker blue than what you have.

Im sure that these hats are well made from a technical standpoint, they are modern art that evoke in some, and olde tyme look and feel. I just don't like them in the least bit to be perfectly honest. I think that many (most?) who buy them don't realize that what they are buying and wearing is not a documentary copy of an actual artifact, but a totally modern piece, based on an imperfect view of the past.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    I realize these pieces of headgear are used, or at least an attempt to look like what is being worn by actors in that popular TV series about time traveling folks in 18th Century Scotland.

But TV and the big screen are not real life. I pretty much view these hats as being about as appropriate for Scots as say, ivory handled samurai swords in the Highlands.....

So two things, I don't know what type of yarn was used in making this piece, but it does not look like the z twist worsted yarn that is pretty much universal across Northern European knitted headgear, Scots bonnets, French tuques and Dutch knit hats all pretty much use the same yarns. It has all those wild hairs going everywhere that just does not look good IMHO.

On the color, the song does not say steel grey or robin egg colored bonnets going over the border, it says blue. Surviving examples of period bonnets, as well as period imagery show bonnets that are medium blue to dark, almost blackish in color. So for me, and me alone, a historic bonnet must be a darker blue than what you have.

Im sure that these hats are well made from a technical standpoint, they are modern art that evoke in some, and olde tyme look and feel. I just don't like them in the least bit to be perfectly honest. I think that many (most?) who buy them don't realize that what they are buying and wearing is not a documentary copy of an actual artifact, but a totally modern piece, based on an imperfect view of the past.
    ...wow...that is quite the lecture. I commend your historical accuracy and knowledge of this subject. Unfortunately it is wasted on me. I bought it because I like the way it looked. My wife watches that series and I sometimes follow along. I do like the gray more than the blue, I think because I am colorblind I might not know the difference. I am a long way from Scotland. I did fly over it once enroute to Iraq! My ancestors from which I got my name left about 100 years before Culloden. I am just an old fellow having fun with this stuff not to be taken seriously. If you have seen any of my post, the only thing I have authentic is footwear!

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	30561

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt Kops aside, I think Gloria's Scots Bonnets are quite good and probably are made pretty much like an 18th century Highland lady might have done it. Research has been put into them. Mine wasn't made with the last skein in the dye vat, instead it was made of natural grey wool from natural grey sheep. OlderScotish breeds would have naturally been more grey than blue., so I think my bonnet is authentic. I see no need to shave a new bonnet. All shaving does its make them look more worn. That's why we shaved army berets, so the wearer wouldn't look like a total new bee (original spelling.)

I soak and shape my bonnets pretty much as described. First saturating them in a sink full of hot water until I am satisfied they can't get any wetter. Then, lay them on a spread towel and just roll them up tight, after which I wring the towel as I would to squeeze water out of the towel alone. Next onto my head where i shape them and wear them until fairly dry. I don't dig the Veronica Lake look so don't pull my bonnets or berets down over my eye much, instead I work them down to the side and back. I just get them smooth and wrinkle free. I find they sometimes like to pucker a little as they are forced out of round and into the chosen shape. The wavy pucker lines can gradually be worked out. Also, as there isn't a stiffener in a bonnet as there is in military berets where devices are attached there isnt a real need to peak them up on one side. My grey bonnet is felted so thick hail stones could fall on it and my head not be hurt. So you can imagine how it stops rain.

Nice bonnet substitutes can be had from South Pacific Berets.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has all been very interesting for me. I had to go chase down Gloria's website to see what folks were talking about. I don't think I have ever seen such a variety of bonnets as Gloria has on her page. I have been wearing something akin to a Montgomery Highlander's bonnet, but I actually like those that hang down more on one side (a la Outlander) than mine. I need to go look around some more!

Name:	IMG_0099a2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	30565
    Regards,
    Tom

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to slothead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post

I totally understand! I've accidentally gotten the urea flavoured Corn Flakes a time or two myself...

Cheers!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bamamedic For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there are several schools of thought here where they really don't gel easily together. It not only applies to Scottish bonnets but also to Scottish Highland attire in general. Traditional Highland Dress(THCD as we know it here) of today whilst giving a nod to history is a living and relevant part of today's Scotland, albeit a minority"s choice. We do need to be careful that historical attire does not stray into the theatrical or worse still, the pantomime scenarios for modern day kilt attire.

I have no problem with those who enjoy historical kilt attire or even theatrical kilt attire, as long as they do not kid themselves, or anyone else, that it has any real relevance to today's kilt attire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th April 17 at 12:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enjoyed reading this thread very much. I have a bonnet that is just a wee bit large for me, and is knitted, so I will try it with that bonnet first, the soaking and towel method and hope it shrinks a little. If I want to shrink it, use warm or hot water when soaking. How long do you soak the bonnet before you roll it in the towel to start the drying? Should you shave it first or wait until after it dries?

Regarding the historic and modern usage of the bonnet, I enjoyed reading very much the historical facts, however, as the OP stated, he just enjoys wearing the entire, and could care less about this history. So I think we all must understand, different strokes for different folks, and just enjoy and respect our fellow enthusiast view and participation in the experience here.

Again thanks so much for the historic perspective, and I am working very hard to do an authentic Jacobite impression for Living History, yet I still enjoy so much attending Scottish events in modern kilt and dress with my wife, both to me have value, enjoyment, and meaning to my life. Thanks so much for sharing the shaping of the bonnet, appreciate very much your time to write this up, and most of all enjoy all the comments and feed back...Lets enjoy the views of all.....Regards...
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    I have enjoyed reading this thread very much. I have a bonnet that is just a wee bit large for me, and is knitted, so I will try it with that bonnet first, the soaking and towel method and hope it shrinks a little. If I want to shrink it, use warm or hot water when soaking. How long do you soak the bonnet before you roll it in the towel to start the drying? Should you shave it first or wait until after it dries?
    The hotter the water the more the bonnet will shrink. To get lots of shrinkage use hot water and high heat. You could turn a bonnet into a bit of doll clothing. My water heater is turned all the way up. The water is too hot to be comfortable. It burns. I soak my bonnets and berets in this water. You need to soak a bonnet long enough to get sopping wet. I generally just toss mine in, go watch paint dry, and then take the chapeau out and flop it on a medium size towel. I roll the towel and bonnet tightly then wring it hard. The bonnet won't get distorted doing this.

When as much water is as wrung out as possible put the bonnet on your head and shape it to suit. Periodically touch it up. When it's mostly dry you can carefully take it off and lay it on a flat surface to finish drying. Just don't try to do anymore shaping. Now that hot weather is coming you could probably put the damp bonnet on and get it dry while mowing the lawn or something.

You'll probably notice the head band will not be even all the way around and the bonnet will be some shape other than round. That a sign you did things right.

I've done this with army berets, a Mackie bonnet, my massive bonnet by Gloria, and berets from South Pacific Berets without failure.

Shave the bonnet after it is shaped. Use one of those battery powered things for removing pills and fuzz from sweaters. You could probably age it with a torch. Don't let the flame get too close to the wool and keep it moving. This will stink. Do it outside.

Felted bonnets are very water repellent. My bonnet from Gloria is about 98 percent waterproof. A bonnet could be even more hydrophobic with a lanolin treatment.

17. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast