X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bubba...You've got a worse case of kiltaddiction than me! Even more serious...you've got the sewing tallent with which to indulge yourself! LOL 8)

blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Blu, I got this one made and found it so comfortable I hate to take it off. Second one is in the works because this one needs washing now and then If I can get away with it I just might wear kilts full time and give the trousers to Goodwill :mrgreen:

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    I have blood ties to 2 Clans and I intend to eventually have a tartan kilt for each. That's the heritage thing for me. I also plan on at least one that's a general tartan and a couple of the more contemporary kilts. Am I getting ambitious or what
    Don't worry about it, Bubba. You've waaaaaay to go yet!! I have just ordered my 11th contemporary kilt from Howie Nicholsby ("21st Century Kilts" in Edinburgh). It is a beigy-tan in colour and is in the finest corduroy I have ever seen. It will be just perfect for Spring and Autumn wear.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish, so far I now have 2 kilts. One light blue denim and one dark blue cotton/poly blend. The first tartan is on order. I think I've got a good start and it'll be reasonably economical for me since I can make them myself. Not a big fan of cord though. When I was a kid my mother loaded me up on cord pants. I can still hear the legs rubbing together with that zzzttttt sound The comfort of the kilt is certainly addicting though and, surprisingly for a small conservative town in the American midwest, the reaction has been fairly minimal and what there has been has been fairly positive. Like I said, I'm about ready to send the pants to Goodwill and wear kilts all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On entitlement, I found this about the right to wear a tartan.

Equally, it is generally accepted that someone who determines to offer their allegiance to the chief shall be recognised as a member of that clan unless the chief has decreed that he will not accept such a person's allegiance, Thus, if a person offers his allegiance to a particular chief by joining his clan society or by wearing his tartan, he can be deemed to have elected to join that particular clan and should be viewed as a member of that clan unless the chief particularly states that he or his name group are not to be allowed to join the clan.

So it seems wearing a particular tartan is a pretty open thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bubba said..." Thus, if a person offers his allegiance to a particular chief by joining his clan society or by wearing his tartan, he can be deemed to have elected to join that particular clan "...
    My understanding is that this is more or less that basis of the sept relationship...where non-blood relations were conjoined by giving allegiance to or being given protection from a particualr clan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, and historically allegiances changed routinely and often as Clans gained and lost power. The gist of it comes down to you are a member of the Clan by giving allegiance to that Clan as long as the Clan Chief doesn't say no.These days it's as simple as joining the Clan society or even just wearing the tartan and it's good until such time as the Chief rejects you. That pretty much puts entitlement to the side as irrelevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone who determines to offer their allegiance to the chief shall be recognised as a member of that clan unless the chief has decreed that he will not accept such a person's allegiance, Thus, if a person offers his allegiance to a particular chief by joining his clan society or by wearing his tartan, he can be deemed to have elected to join that particular clan and should be viewed as a member of that clan unless the chief particularly states that he or his name group are not to be allowed to join the clan.
    So If I purchase a Canadian tartan Kilt (maple leaf is really nice), can I claim citizenship? I suppose I would then have to pay CDN taxes.
    And you may ask yourself, Well how did I get here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respect the clan history rules, and until I can establish a link to a clan, I will probably avoid buying a clan tartan. That being said, I can't find a list of tartans that are considered "universal." My first kilt was Black Watch, my second Royal Stewart. I want to buy more (but I can stop at any time. ) Can anyone point me to a list of "universal" tartans. (Not generic, corporate, regional or national.)

Thanks!
    And you may ask yourself, Well how did I get here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a website I spenta few hours at just browsing through the tartans.

www.tartans.scotland.net

They have about 15 or so Universal tartans, plus all the regional and corporate ones as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast