X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

That will work, but only for small adjustments. If you take inches out of the aprons, without taking inches out of the pleats, you will wind up with a discrepency. A 2" or 3" discrepency is no big deal (and depending on the build of the man, may actually be beneficial for the look of the kilt).

But 6" is quite a bit. In the cast of a kilt with a waist of 40", you can assume that the aprons are 20" and the pleats are 20". Taking in the aprons by 6" would mean having 14" aprons and 20" pleats -- in other words, the pleated portion of the kilt would come around the front. In order to really preserve the correct look of the kilt, you'd need to alter it, in the way Barb detailed, so that the aprons and pleats are 17" each.

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your kilt has a loving home waiting for it here at my chapter of the Kilt Adoption Agency with a comfy hangar and lots of love...

Seriously though if you do decide to sell it, shoot me a PM and let's talk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW - I must be a whole lot slower than Matt is! It takes me about 4 hours to do a regular alteration. If I had to start taking pleats out and doing additional joins, that estimate could easily double. I find that just doing a proper job on basting and pressing consumes a good hour!

Barb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperTX
    I bought a kilt from Celtic Croft last year when my waist was a size 40" waist. I have since lost 60lbs and am now a size 34" waist. Is it possible to take the kilt down that much? And if so would I be able to do it? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    I just want to say congratulations on the weight loss. I'm trying to drop some inches myself. Have you got any advice other than a better diet and more exercise?
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown rather than lost weight... I'm now a 34" waist.

Wearing kilts is even better for me as they're all 34" - my jeans are 32" and I'm not buying a bigger pair.. just more kilts! Yay!

Congrats on the weight loss

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit amused to find a website offering Kilt extender straps...another strap and buckle to hook on and give you a few more inches! Happy to see that you're going the other way and don't need these! Now if me and my fat beagle can just get out and shave an incdh or two off our growing waistlines.....

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question that's related. I'm getting ready to make a kilt (my second, but first was more practice than really wearable) and am currently at a 42 waist. 44 Hip I have a goal to be at at least a 36 waist by mid August.

Is there a way to make the kilt now expecting to take it in? or should I just make two? One now, and one to celebrate my "goal" (although I have no idea what my hip would be at a 36" waist..)

-mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys! I think I will just go ahead and buy a new one at this point, as the cost of alterations would be more than what I paid new! I also appreciate the 'grats on the weight loss.

For those who are serious about weight loss, my wife and I are doing Weight Watchers and it does work as long as you stick to it. The first week or two are the tough ones. After that a routine kicks in and it becomes much easier. She has lost 77lbs and is still going!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalKilt
    Is there a way to make the kilt now expecting to take it in? or should I just make two? ... I have no idea what my hip would be at a 36" waist..

-mike
    Yes, you can make a kilt now expecting to take it in later.

The problem with downsizing a kilt already made is that the excess material behind the sewn pleats is literally cut out with scissors, so you cannot later undo a couple pleats and remake the material into aprons. The material is gone. So the only alternative, as discussed above, is to cut off the existing aprons, rework them, and figure out how to join them back onto the remaining pleats.

However, if you make a kilt with this future downsizing in mind, just leave the first few pleats and the last few pleats uncut. When you take those pleats apart later, the material will still be there to make into aprons, and the job is not overwhelming. BTW, hip size will probably NOT decrease to the same extent as waist size. The difference can probably be addressed with slightly different apron hip measurements.

Good luck with both the kiltmaking and the weight loss.
    Last edited by way2fractious; 20th February 06 at 05:44 PM. Reason: finish a thought
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thornton
    See, we do need a kilt adoption agency, a place wher you could place those great kilts and pick up some smaller ones.

David
    Are you suggesting a "kilt swap store?"
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast