X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is probably a haze in your mind, because most of us wouldn't admit to it, but we probably spent the same kind of time on our appearance as teenage boys, trying to impress the girls. Then the vast majority of us get hung up on trying to be the "burp-belch-fart-takes 2 seconds to get ready for any occasion" stereotype of a man. Then when you got kilted you started taking pride in your appearance. When you feel any kind of fear at that, just realize that now you are taking that time on your appearance for yourself, and taking pride in yourself, rather than the teenage male's pursuit of...you know what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too worried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only after puting on a kilt that, for the first time in my life, I found myself turning in front of a mirror to check my backside for wrinkles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's natural. You wish to wear your Kilt with pride so do not sweat it.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife occasionally reminds me about my pleats - my denim UK, especially. The one thought I have is if it does get messed up in the back badly enough to expose me (that's why I got lips tattoed on my left cheek!), will she say anything, or just enjoy the view...

Frog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Skene View Post
    That ain't right They back us into a corner with that unanswerable question, but when we use it, we get popped
    I never could understand the problem with this question. My wife long ago stopped asking me this because I simply tell her the truth, if it makes her look fat I say yes, it makes you look fat.

The fact of the matter is that at 45 years old she doesn't have the same figure that she had when I met her at 25 years old and she's not supposed to or expected to look like a 25 year old at 45. We can't always have what we want.

If a woman is that psychotic then she needs to talk to someone who can help her, not me. I don't walk around asking her if my hair is any thinner this week than it was last week, do I? I know the answer to that one.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am free of both the "does this make me look fat?" and the toilet seat problem. How? Explaining to my wife that I do not believe in supporting double standards or traps. I told her, "If you're trying to start a fight, ask me the question. You'll get one, because the first thing out of my mouth is going to be "It isn't the outfit"" The toilet seat one, I said if you insist on me always putting the toilet seat down when I'm done, I'm going to insist that you always put it up. Which brought up the "what if I fall in in the dark because you left the seat up?" argument. I replied, "what if I pee all over the seat in the dark because you left it down?" Our toilet seat is now in whatever position it was when it was last used, and I don't have to put up with the hypocritical that most men do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this cartoon from the scottish humor page.

Nuf said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Score +5, Insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Erisianmonkey View Post
    Guys, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is probably a haze in your mind, because most of us wouldn't admit to it, but we probably spent the same kind of time on our appearance as teenage boys, trying to impress the girls. Then the vast majority of us get hung up on trying to be the "burp-belch-fart-takes 2 seconds to get ready for any occasion" stereotype of a man. Then when you got kilted you started taking pride in your appearance. When you feel any kind of fear at that, just realize that now you are taking that time on your appearance for yourself, and taking pride in yourself, rather than the teenage male's pursuit of...you know what.
    That is absolutely what is happening. For some reason, the act of a man preening like this is something society at large is not comfortable with. Us men are encouraged to either just chuck on the first thing we see in the cupboard, or somehow pick a dashing and co-ordinated ensemble after 2 seconds thought. Instead, when we explore unbifurcated garments, it is discovered that taking such a daring leap of garment choice means you care a lot about such garments. Thus the care in co-ordination, looks, etc.

We think we're strange for paying that much attention to our appearance. Wrong. Women are taught from a young age how to do it and thus many women do pay a lot of attention to their appearance. In times past, men did too. Most men should be described as strange for not caring about their appearance.

Wade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Ouch! You're not just obsessing, but obsessing about obsessing! Don't worry - this will go away once you obtain more confidence. As others have observed, the standard for many men approaches what can only be termed "slovenliness" and "dressing sharp" (what an arcane phrase) is no longer the norm.

A notable exception, for the most part: those who serve in the military. When wearing a dress uniform obsession isn't a problem, it's manditory. (It's probably why women love those men, too!)

Keep at it and you'll soon attain that "graceful, manly elegance" demonstrated by so many here. (Hey! Stop snickering! You know who you are. )

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast