X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanmuwa is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galician View Post
    Papal forces??? Wouldn't the Jacobites have been favorable to the Roman Church, if not actually heavily Catholic?
    At the time, both armys were mixed, with the Jacobites being mainly composed of Irish Catholics. However, the whole conflict was really a power struggle between Louis XIV of France (supporting James) and the Pope (supporting William. This alliance was also known as the League of Augsburg). However, looked at as a purely Irish conflict, yes it was split along the expected sectarian lines :-)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It was actually James II, defeated by William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. Do you know where the Robertson estates were? Neither Robertson or Reid are uncommon names in Scotland and if you can place your Reid ancestor in the same area then it is a possibility.
    I believe you'll find that the Robertson lands--at the time of Alexander's last defeat--were located a little west of Atholl around Loch Rannoch. The clan chiefs subsequently relocated to the West Indies for a long time after that.

The Donnachaidhs (proper name for tghe clan) are among the oldest clans in Scotland. For whatever that's worth. (Being a clan member myself, I think it's worth quite a bit. )
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert, that's cool, my man. I have recently discovered a Robertson connection, as well. My GGGGrandmother (a Mabile) fled Paris and moved to Dundee, Scotland where she met and married Leonard Robertson.
    I do so love learning more about this.
    Bonne Chance, Robert!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought, besides his emigration being a possible escape, could it be having to do with the auld alliance? maybe he got an educatoin and decided to stay or moved there for business. when James became king he became king of scotland, ireland, england AND france.

not bursting your bubble just a thought.

good luck
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the DSM View Post
    just a thought, besides his emigration being a possible escape, could it be having to do with the auld alliance? maybe he got an educatoin and decided to stay or moved there for business. when James became king he became king of scotland, ireland, england AND france.

not bursting your bubble just a thought.

good luck
    No bursting bubbles there ! On the contrary ! I always thaught him as some kind of translator, at least... After all, he did change his forename from John to Jean, and maried a French girl !

Most sons and daughters of Highland Lairds went to study in France (Normandy, Paris, Bordeaux, etc. ). They had comercial links (and not only Claret ! ) France was like the closest thing to home.

Many points in common. Culturally, intellectually. France was a Gallo(Celtic)-Roman civilisation absolutely untinged by the Saxons (Nederlands). Influenced perhaps in some ways by early migrations of Goths, Wisigoths and Francs, that's for sure... but then again , that was 800 years before !

So one does'nt really escape or flee towards home... rather one takes shelter there !

Well that's my bubble for the moment !

Thanks again, folks ! Keep sharing your thoughts !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancienne Alliance View Post
    Influenced perhaps in some ways by early migrations of Goths, Wisigoths and Francs,
    Obviously influenced a bit by the Francs, considering the name of the country.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thanmuwa View Post
    At the time, both armys were mixed, with the Jacobites being mainly composed of Irish Catholics. However, the whole conflict was really a power struggle between Louis XIV of France (supporting James) and the Pope (supporting William. This alliance was also known as the League of Augsburg). However, looked at as a purely Irish conflict, yes it was split along the expected sectarian lines :-)
    I did a quick search about the League (apparently aka the Grand Alliance). I saw no indication that the Papacy had any role in it. I do, however, see that the Holy Roman Emperor was. Could you be confusing them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    Obviously influenced a bit by the Francs, considering the name of the country.
    Yes ! a few strange "germanic" sounding words here and there !
    But that sure was a long time ago, and strange enough, they didn't really mix with the local Gallic people.

They more or less always remained a distant ruling, warrior class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People moved around for all sorts of reasons. In the 17th century Highland Scots were commonly hired as mercenaries for various conflicts parts of Europe, especially for Gustavus Adolphus II.

Now, for Clan Gunn a certain William Gunn was an important mercenary and was eventually knighted. Sir William through an important marriage acquired a Barony position at Staufeneck, Germany. He became known as William Von Gunn.

As for this tale in your ancestry, I'm theorizing that there might be something to do with the "French Huguenots." Huguenots were persecuted protestants and began to leave France. Sir William Gunn's role in his part was related to conflicts over religion.
    ----------------------------------------------[URL="http://www.youtube.com/sirdaniel1975"]
    My Youtube Page[/URL]

Mountain Lakes Region, West Virginia, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the brief history lesson Robert!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast