X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These discussions are an amusing insight into non-Scots' view of Scotland and the kilt - we should take careful note...

As a regular kilt-wearer here in Scotland, I am something of a rarity and get the occasional comment that is always positive.

Elsewhere, the reaction can be different - even in England, where the sight of the kilt is not uncommon.

The effect of the kilt down south is usually both fun and interesting, for it makes strangers want to engage in conversation and ask about it. If ever you go out on the 'pull' in England, wearing the kilt is a sure-fire winner.

But at a family gathering in the English Midlands, where only I and my nephew were kilted, we had a particularly amusing time, for a stranger came well out of his way and demanded to know if the kilts were 'real'.

I guess he meant to ask if the tartan was a particulr clan, but it made me wonder what an artificial kilt looks like.

Looking at this another way, can you imagine asking a stranger if his suit, or jeans, or whatever, were real..?

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    but it made me wonder what an artificial kilt looks like.
    ...or an imaginary one.😉

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ever you go out on the 'pull' in England, wearing the kilt is a sure-fire winner..............
    Those were the days!!!!

Although to be clear, in England, a certain amount of care was still required where the kilt was worn.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    Today I discovered one of the dangers of wearing the kilt...you may end up in the parking lot talking.
    When you start piping at events you soon get accustomed to the fact that part of our job is being an ambassador of sorts for Things Scottish.

It may be a funeral or wedding but more likely than not you'll be approached and hear about somebody's Scotland holiday, or their purported Clan affiliation, or what have you.

And there's the inevitable "what Clan is your kilt?" question, which takes a bit of explaining when I'm wearing Isle of Skye. People are amazed that non-Clan tartans exist, and that new tartans are being created all the time.

Often the person asking the questions is a Scot, and as soon as I discover this I'm the one asking the questions.

Much less often than the Clan question is the person with musical background interested in how the pipes work.

I really enjoy this part of the piper's job. I do my little bit to gently dispell the myths.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It made me wonder what an artificial kilt looks like.
    Oh I saw loads of those on The Royal Mile

Looking at this another way, can you imagine asking a stranger if his suit, or jeans, or whatever, were real?
    That reminds me of the "full kilt" term that many Americans use.

You never ask anybody if they're going to wear their "full trousers".

It both amused and exasperated my old Pipe Major, who got calls for piping gigs all the time where the person would ask "are you going to be wearing your full kilt?"

Just after he got off the phone with one of these eejits one day he said "you know, one of these days when they ask me that I'm going to say

'Well I do ordinarily wear my full kilt when I do bagpipe performances. But I think for yours I'm going to wear my half-kilt.'

...just to see what they say!"
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th March 24 at 04:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    From far too many years of experience of tartan garments in this country, from North to South and back again, tartan garments,( ties, socks, shirts etc.) barely raise an eyebrow. Its not until tartan in kilt form is seen down South do comments, good and not so good, which can raise an eyebrow and even cause an adverse reaction. Just saying.
    Do you happen to have any advice on what to do about the “bad comments”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These discussions are an amusing insight into non-Scots' view of Scotland and the kilt - we should take careful note...

As a regular kilt-wearer here in Scotland, I am something of a rarity and get the occasional comment that is always positive.

Elsewhere, the reaction can be different - even in England, where the sight of the kilt is not uncommon.

The effect of the kilt down south is usually both fun and interesting, for it makes strangers want to engage in conversation and ask about it. If ever you go out on the 'pull' in England, wearing the kilt is a sure-fire winner.

But at a family gathering in the English Midlands, where only I and my nephew were kilted, we had a particularly amusing time, for a stranger came well out of his way and demanded to know if the kilts were 'real'.

I guess he meant to ask if the tartan was a particulr clan, but it made me wonder what an artificial kilt looks like.

Looking at this another way, can you imagine asking a stranger if his suit, or jeans, or whatever, were real..?
    "Real" kilts. Yeah.

I went to an event at one of my own churches once where a parishioner and good friend asked me bug-eyed whether the kilt was real. With a straight face, I managed to tell her that the kilt was only her imagination, and in fact I was standing there with no clothes on. Much laughter and I explained what I had known all along was her real question.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    Do you happen to have any advice on what to do about the “bad comments”
    Get used to it, smile, say nothing and walk away.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th March 24 at 07:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Get used to it, smile, say nothing and walk away.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ve had people laugh in my face and talk about me behind my back before so I’m pretty used to it

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AmateurKiltsmen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Ignorance is a blizz!
    I usually just walk away, occasionally shaking my head. Even laughing...

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast