X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    I have never had problem wearing a kilt out and about in England, Wales, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, USA and etc.. Never any problems and lots of favourable comments.
    I no longer wear the kilt for air travel though, as it complicates matters having to remove sporran and belt and has aroused suspicion at security. Last time I left Germany I was subjected to a very thorough and aggressive pat down by a security officer who ran his hands up inside my kilt and along my underwear. I was then called back for a second pat down and when I protested I was told I needed to co-operate or I would not be allowed to travel. Thankfully the second pat down was done by a different guy who didn't go inside my kilt.
    I'll bear that in mind if I ever travel to Germany! I've never had a problem travelling in a kilt (fingers crossed) as pat downs are now par for the course with a metal hip, courtesy of a ski accident.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly Jamaica continues to be one of many countries that are not LGBTQ2S+ friendly. Stick with me, I'm not assuming your preference or gender... The appearance of a "man in a skirt" (to someone not knowing of, or ignorant of kilts) would likely be akin to being a "battyman". Parts of Jamiaca can be fiercely homophobic, to the point of beatings and deaths. So, again sadly, if the barista is dropping you a warning about leaving the resort in a kilt, you're likely visiting one of those parts and should in fact heed that warning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently hiked in Portugal

Earlier this year I hiked for a month on the Portuguese island of Madeira in my kilt and only received positive comments, with many not really paying any attention. On the Portuguese mainland after this, walking along the beaches and coastline I again received similar comments and reactions. I wear hose and flashes with walking boots, a sporran but a casual top, t-shirt if it’s hot and a micro fleece if it’s cooler. I would hope if you wear your kilt with confidence, no one will take issue with you. Isn’t the kilt globally recognised these days?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123