X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieT100 View Post
    Just sucks wasting 5 weeks when I don't have much time left in the states.
    The music you make will help the time go faster.
    Let the Rabble know when you punch off Down Range. I regret not having my kilt when deployed. It would have made some great photos.
    Best of luck
    “Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, taste the fruit, drink the drink, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” H.D. Thoreau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wgority View Post
    As I play both uilleann pipes and GHBs (as well as many other types of bagpipes) it applies to both. However, in this case I was specifically discussing Highland pipes.

Those are pretty much it. I'll also add the corollary that the intensity of Reactions 1 and 2 are usually directly proportional to Reaction 3
    Ah, I see.

Of course! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im new to piping too and cant wait until the day I get my first set of pipes. Im still on the beginning scale but the way my pipe band opperates is you learn the scale before anything else and basically perfect it so im about done with doublings and should move on to the next note tonight! I have a friend whos father is a piper and from what ive heard hes self taught, I have listened to his music and he is an incredible piper and musician he also has a CD but i dont know what it is...

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly if you havent had a teacher there is NO way that you can be playing the movements correctly, even with all the books and DVDs in the world Trust me on this, there are several teachers that do lessons via webcam/ over the net etc (Bob Pinkman springs to mind here) Im sure that people can reel of lists of "self taught" pipers and I can sit here and reel off much better pipers who have had lessons, If you want to be a piper you need an instructor, its a simple as that even if it just someone once in a while to get the movements correct. Its unfortunate that many people "teach themselves" and the listen to a trained piper and realise they have to relearn the instrument, Its even more unfortunate that many of these Pipers are In Scotland, Edinburgh is notorious for bad pipers playing in the street "(here are also very very good ones) however the bad ones just rely on tourists not being able to tell the difference. Find a good instructor, get the Logan book , hit the PC for a few months and DONT buy cheap pipes of Ebay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...I want to learn the pipes. I really do. I can't really put in the money for lessons until next year because of other obligations, but I will take lessons from an instructor here. I want to go downtown buy a chanter from the local Scottish Store and start tooting, but I've held firm. I've heard enough from experienced pipers not to do that.
    In the meantime...while I'm waiting to actually start, could someone please tell me what in the heck "grace notes" are?
    Forgive me but I'm musically illiterate. That may be a good thing as far as my instructor is concerned though, because I have no bad habits to correct since I know absolutely nothing
    It don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing!!
    'S Rioghal Mo Dhream - a child of the mist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could someone please tell me what in the heck "grace notes" are?
    They're embellishments, short (no time value) notes made to embellish or accentuate another note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH...ok!
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly longer explanation of grace notes

Emmet said:
    They're embellishments, short (no time value) notes made to embellish or accentuate another note.
    and he's exactly right. However, it may be useful to expand the explanation a bit. Grace notes are used in many different styles of music, but have a particular prominence in pipe music for two reason: pipes have no dynamics, and pipes play constantly (there's no good way of stopping between notes). No dynamics means that the Great Highland Bagpipes (GHB) have no means of varying the volume being played. When playing another instrument, dynamics are often critical, and are often noted in the music, so that the musician knows (a) how loud to play a particular passage and (b)where to change volume by crescendoing or decrescendoing. With the pipes, though, we've got no way of doing that. The volume we play at is the volume at which the reeds sound true and the tuning works. We can't really get quieter without the notes going flat, which makes us sound like a dying cow. (Bystanders' opinions to the contrary, very few of us actually wish to sound like dying cows.) This would tend to make pipe music sound a bit dull, since we have no good way of accentuating the music by changing volume, so we use grace notes/embellishments instead. The grace notes also serve to separate notes within a tune, because we don't have a way of stopping the sound without stopping the whole instrument.

For example:
    One of the tunes I first learned is "A Mighty Fortress, arranged by Dr. Keith MacDonald in his "Church Piper" series. The tune starts with three high A notes, corresponding to the words "A migh-ty ... " in the song. If it didn't have grace notes, these would all run together and sound like a constant tone. So instead of playing that, I play high A-high G-high A-high G-high A.... The high G grace notes are very short, and have the effect of separating the high A notes, making the tune sound like it should, rather than having it start with a long single unbroken note.

Grace notes provide a lot of the "sound" associated with pipe music; if you hear a pipe piece played without them, it will often sound kind of dull. Some poorly-taught pipers never learn to play the grace notes, and are referred to derisively as "big-note" pipers. (Grace notes are written smaller than the melody notes.) They're an important part of piping, and a large part of any good piper's practice. Pianists practice scales, ingraining the scale in the different keys available to them; pipers, who are limited to only nine notes, practice gracings, learning to play the gracenotes anywhere they occur in a tune.
    Last edited by haukehaien; 5th October 07 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An elegant explaination from Haukehaien!

Muchos grass.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent explanation that I much appreciate.
    That really helped me understand the concept! Next year when I start at least I'll know what they're talking about.
    Thanks much haukehaien!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast