X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings and welcome from Amarillo, Texas. My ancestor Matthew Todd haled from Dreghorn, Ayrshire.
    Paternal: Todd (Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland via Ulster, Ireland, 1730); Kennedy (County Down, Ulster, Ireland, 1846)
    Maternal: Ferguson (Ireland, 1799); Karr/Kerr

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California!

I may have connexions to Ayrshire, my last name is Cook and from what I've read that name is more common in Ayrshire than elsewhere. (The family legend is that my Cooks came from Arran, who can say.)

Though an American I've worn kilts since I was a teenager, over 40 years now, due to being involved in piping.

(the 1881 census map of "Cook" showing the name occurring in Ayrshire, on Arran, which matches the family story)

Last edited by OC Richard; 14th September 18 at 05:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A warm welcome from a fellow Scot, now anchored in Derbyshire.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California!

I may have connexions to Ayrshire, my last name is Cook and from what I've read that name is more common in Ayrshire than elsewhere. (The family legend is that my Cooks came from Arran, who can say.)

Though an American I've worn kilts since I was a teenager, over 40 years now, due to being involved in piping.

(the 1881 census map of "Cook" showing the name occurring in Ayrshire, on Arran, which matches the family story)

Intrigued by your map, dated 1881, it shows Scotland (including Orkney and Shetland , England, Wales and Cornwall, but despite clearly being within the area shown both the Isle of Man (despite being some less than 20 miles south of Whithorn) and Ireland are missed off? Was there any historical reason for that? We do have a phenomenon here called "Miss Isle of Man Syndrome" (a pun on the name of a local beauty contest and the absence of the Island from a map in which geographically contains the area it should be in). I guessed maybe it was something to do with the area of responsibility of the census taker, but then I would have thought all of Ireland would have been included in any census taken in 1881?....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123