X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Hamilton Casual Kilt

ebay uk has had a lot of listings recently for casual fashion kilts in traditional menswear colours, and I decided to have this one on Buy-it-Now as it was listed as a Grey Hamilton, and I do have a Hamilton line of ancestry.
    Note the tee-shirt from Highlandtide.

The seller's ebay username is Heritage of Scotland, and the Paypal payment went to Gold Brothers. I bought a size 38 kilt, it arrived within two days but the ticket attached to it said it was a size 40. However when I tried it on it is a very good fit at the waist and is obviously a size 38. The kilt is PVC and comes in a standard 24 inch length. The seller claims that the kilt is fully lined in cotton, but the lining does in fact only extend to the bottom of the fell.

Menswear grey against the autumn tints. The black hose from Brewins are rather sheer. I think grey hose may work equally well if not better with this kilt.

A close up of the sett. I had been expecting the sett would be the usual Hamilton sett but in shades of grey, however it is nothing like the sett of my formal Hamilton kilt, looks to be very much a fashion tartan, one for our tartan experts.

The obligatory pleats shot.
    Verdict:- at just £29.99 is fair value for a casual kilt. A reasonable representation of a kilt, with a proper fringe and fell. Would make a good starter kilt for someone who would like to try the kilt for casual wear but is shy of the attention which garish tartans will attract.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 18th November 08 at 10:15 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks ok, I agree with you not a bad starter Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good looking kilt for the price, Alex.
    Probably very comfortable for casual wear.
    I have a PV in the Hay Ancient tartan and wear it often for outdoor events where I don't want to risk a wool kilt.

I like the feel of the PV also.

You look great in it.

Tom

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good value purchase. Good kick around kilt.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not bad at all Alex. A wee iron over and it will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colleague of mine has just bought one of those Grey Hamiltons (his first kilt) from the same source and he tells me it's great. His girlfriend loves it apparently... I agree that grey hose would work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks great Alex . . congrats on the find .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good find!
    I like the breeze between my knees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good! I should know, I have the same kilt and I've been very happy with mine. Great casual kilt, and of course, since I'm a poor student who don't have money to buy a wool kilt, I've worn it in formal occasions as well...

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the price, Alex, that appears to be an acceptable knock-about kilt, but please remember Robertson's warning about the high-risk of those kilts catching fire and MELTING if in contact, only briefly, with naked flames or cigarettes!

Whilst I do have some reservations about contributing to the Gold Brothers' fortunes, and all that goes with purchasing 'kilts' from the Far East, I can see the necessity of having something like this for wear whilst cleaning the car, scrubbing the floors, gardening, etc - even for lounging around the house. Indeed, I admit I have such a need myself!

As for the 'tartan' itself: my guess is that it is a fashion tartan since it bears little resemblance to any Hamilton I know. Nevertheless, it is a very handsome tartan when seen in close-up.

Many thanks for the pics.

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast