X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to our Roots - I South-west Scotland

Although Ann was born in Glasgow her grandparents came from Newton Stewart, Girvan and Dailly in south-west Scotland, so her ancestry on both her father and mother's sides links back to various towns and villages all around the south-west.

One of Ann's lines derives from Castle Kennedy. This is Inch Parish Church. Francis Galloway married Jean Dugall here in 1819 and their daughter Ann Galloway, a great-great grandmother to Ann, and who was born in 1820 was raised in Castle Kennedy before moving to Girvan when she married.

This is the ruins of the church at Old Dailly, about three miles inland from Girvan. There was a church on this site from around 1200. It was abandoned about 1800 when, with the industrial revolution, the new watermill and coal mines caused a population shift to the new village of Dailly a further three miles inland.

Another view of the old kirk and graveyard at Old Dailly with some very ancient graves.

A general view of the church and burial ground

Inside the ruined church with the camera pointing towards the altar.

This is the grave of a group of covenanters who were shot near here in 1695.

Penkill - One of Ann's lines leads back to Mains of Penkill, about half a mile from the old church, and where one of her great great grandfathers either farmed or worked as a farm labourer.

Lovestone - We had known that at least three generations of Ann's ancestors had lived at Lovestone, close to the old kirkyard, so were surprised to find that Lovestone was such a grand property, occupied by the laird of the estate. His wife confirmed that historically the seat of the estate was Bargany Castle and that in those days Lovestone was used as servants' accommodation, and that therefore Ann's ancestors would have been employees of her husband's ancestors.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 28th October 07 at 02:18 PM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful tour Alex, thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an overview of (new) Dailly, taken from the northern slopes of the Girvan Valley.
    The town is situated on the south bank of the River Girvan.

This is Main Street, Dailly, showing the church which replaced the one at Old Dailly about 1800.

Dailly Church.

Another view of the church and including a separate building which appears to be a mausoleum.

Up the hill from Dailly is the hamlet of Dalquharr(an), which was home to the McIlmorrow family. Margaret McIlmorrow married John McConnel of Dailly in 1778. McConnel is Ann's paternal line though they changed the spelling to McConnell during the 1850's. Curiously the McIlmorrow family also changed their name - to McMurray. Today there are just a few houses at Dalquharran although I am told it was once more of a village and had its own school. I found quite a few family graves around Dailly.

There was also a ruined castle at Dalquharran which I couldn't resist exploring but that's another story!
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting us come with Alex - what a wonderful journey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful tour Alex thanks for sharing it with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

I really enjoy your photographs. Looking at them is almost as good as being there. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I would not be surpised if one of my lines, Robison, will be found to have come from the southwest of Scotland. Surname profiler http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/default.aspx
    shows them more numerous there than anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really evocative photos Alex. Thank you for posting them along with the historical tie-in.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, Alex.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures Alex, I always enjoy your photo tours.

I have a question, the black tombstone on the lower edge of the first picture shows the name McClung. My stepchildren are descended from the McClungs on their father's side. The only information I have been able to find on this family is that the name is found in Galloway.

Do you know if the McClungs are part of any clan? I have been unable to find any connection. There are numerous McClungs found here in the USA, many of them are found in present day central West Virginia which was originally part of Virginia.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The photos mean so much more with the personal history attached.
    Animo non astutia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast