X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck ties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neck ties

Where does everyone like to purchase their non tartan neck ties? I want to get a few more for my kilt. I suppose going to some vintage shops could yield some good results

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good question… Thrift stores are a great resource. I have my own personal collection of ties of some 60 years… The one thing I believe is that narrower ties work better with kilts. The tradition high rise of the kilt and and a wide tie makes it look like a bib….
    cheers….
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, just like Liam, a lifetime is about right to pick up a good selection of club, college/university, old school, charity and regimental ties that the UK is well known for. In passing, it is regarded as bad form to wear a tie that one is not entitled to wear, but the internet still provides plenty of choice of coloured striped ties that will not step on anyones' toes. As an example, the Army Benevolent Fund(ABF) tie, a British Charity with obvious connections, is often the safe choice of many on this website, that works well with the kilt, but there are many more ties with many colours to choose from that are just purely a commercial concoction with no connection to anything.

Liam is also quite right about ties that are too wide, particularly if no waist coat is worn, they do not look good with the kilt.

In passing, many this side of the Atlantic choose not to wear tartan ties-------"no tartan above the waist"------- was often and still is, the guide for day attire. Of course tartan waistcoats and jackets are sometimes seen on formal occasions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th April 23 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a loooong time since I bought a tie, but I tended to get them at the same store I bought my dress shirts

As Liam and Jock both suggested, narrower is better, but not necessarily the skinny tie that is the same width all the way down. Maybe 3" to 3.5" at the widest. (I measured the ties I usually wear with my kilts. None of them tartan.)

Cloth, color(s), pattern, stripe or solid will be up to you. I suggest either taking a swatch of your tartan or wearing your kilt and the shirt(s) you will be wearing to see what your selections look like against the garment(s) the tie will be paired with.

(Full disclosure - I used to work in Men's Apparel at JCPenney when I was in college. I suggest the same idea when buying a tie to go with a suit. Either wear/take the suit or a swatch of the material with you along with the shirt(s) to see how your tie selection will look with it. With suits, this is very helpful if there is a colored thread running through the pattern. The right tie can either make that thread come through and help the pattern - often a windowpane type pattern - appear, or at worst the colors clash, making something appear 'off'.)

Best of luck in your selection!
    John

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Jock alludes, in the UK there exists a vast and complex system of organisational neckties whereby something of a man's background can be seen by all at social gatherings.

Being here in the USA, this is foreign to me. The US universities I know about don't appear to have an official university tie, rather in the university shop they might sell several random ties featuring the school logo and/or school mascot and/or school colours in various ways. Most of these ties will be instantly recognised by anyone familiar with the university.

In any case the home of Highland Dress is the UK and with that dress British men tend to wear either plain ties, diagonal striped ties, or ties with an all-over pattern of crests or logos. There are ties that combine the latter two, having diagonal stripes and also crests/logos arranged across the stripes.

About diagonal stripes, it can be seen that UK and European (and Japanese) stripes go one way, while US stripes go the opposite way.

Years ago it was extremely rare to find a Euro-oriented tie for sale in the USA, but this began to change with President Clinton and his taste for Savile Row suits and ties.

In spite of fashion becoming more international, most of the stripe ties seen worn with Highland Dress in its UK home will have the Euro/UK orientation.

Just now I searched "striped tie lot" on EbayUS and EbayUK and found these.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As Jock alludes, in the UK there exists a vast and complex system of organisational neckties whereby something of a man's background can be seen by all at social gatherings.

Being here in the USA, this is foreign to me. The US universities I know about don't appear to have an official university tie, rather in the university shop they might sell several random ties featuring the school logo and/or school mascot and/or school colours in various ways. Most of these ties will be instantly recognised by anyone familiar with the university.

In any case the home of Highland Dress is the UK and with that dress British men tend to wear either plain ties, diagonal striped ties, or ties with an all-over pattern of crests or logos. There are ties that combine the latter two, having diagonal stripes and also crests/logos arranged across the stripes.

About diagonal stripes, it can be seen that UK and European (and Japanese) stripes go one way, while US stripes go the opposite way.

Years ago it was extremely rare to find a Euro-oriented tie for sale in the USA, but this began to change with President Clinton and his taste for Savile Row suits and ties.

In spite of fashion becoming more international, most of the stripe ties seen worn with Highland Dress in its UK home will have the Euro/UK orientation.

Just now I searched "striped tie lot" on EbayUS and EbayUK and found these.

I’ve worn the same blue silk tie for twenty years. It is too close to the colour of my latest jacket which has got me going on the tie search. I think I’ll go to some vintage stores on the weekend. If that proves fruitless I’ll turn to eBay since most of ties that have caught my eye are around the $150 dollar range.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that thrift stores (or sometimes even antique shops) can be an excellent resource for good vintage ties. I'd say that most of my ties are vintage, as I prefer skinny ties that were popular in the 1950s-1960s. They fit my smaller frame better than wide ties. And I inherited all of my grandfather's ties when he died, some of which have a lot of sentimental value. As virtually nobody wears ties any more, they are often easy to find at local vintage shops - and cheap!

Don't overlook knit ties! I love the texture and overall aesthetic of a knit tie, especially with a kilt. I shy away from the shiny satin/silk type ties with daywear, and it seems that everyone wants to sell shiny ties. Blech. Knit ties have become my favourite for daywear.

If you're looking for a modern source of new ties, here are some I have used or browsed in the past:

https://statesmanties.com/

https://www.thetiebar.com/

https://www.regimentalshop.com/collections/ties

https://www.bensilver.com/Fine-Neckwear.html

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I agree that thrift stores (or sometimes even antique shops) can be an excellent resource for good vintage ties. I'd say that most of my ties are vintage, as I prefer skinny ties that were popular in the 1950s-1960s. They fit my smaller frame better than wide ties. And I inherited all of my grandfather's ties when he died, some of which have a lot of sentimental value. As virtually nobody wears ties any more, they are often easy to find at local vintage shops - and cheap!

Don't overlook knit ties! I love the texture and overall aesthetic of a knit tie, especially with a kilt. I shy away from the shiny satin/silk type ties with daywear, and it seems that everyone wants to sell shiny ties. Blech. Knit ties have become my favourite for daywear.

If you're looking for a modern source of new ties, here are some I have used or browsed in the past:

https://statesmanties.com/

https://www.thetiebar.com/

https://www.regimentalshop.com/collections/ties

https://www.bensilver.com/Fine-Neckwear.html

thanks Tobus.
    thanks that’s a great place to start. I found a few on eBay. I’ll go to a few antique malls tomorrow. I might find something I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from the striped "regimental" tie, what patterns work well?

Most of mine are some variety of Paisley. Some of them work OK, some not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmakhor View Post
    Aside from the striped "regimental" tie, what patterns work well?

Most of mine are some variety of Paisley. Some of them work OK, some not.
    I like shooting ties. I have a wool/silk tie in mustard with a pattern of stag heads on it as well as a burgundy tie from lands end with a flying mallard pattern.

I’ll try and post some pics later.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast