X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Burn the pants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burn the pants!

I have thought that I would like to buy several kilts and burn all my pants. Truth is that I am a long way from doing so. Do any of you wear kilts exclusively or nearly exclusively? If so, did you gradually get to that point or did you wake up one morning and decide it's was kilts only from then on? Something in between?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are on Facebook the Kilts and Culture group is great. Lots of members are daily kilt wearers. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1524...69788686397883
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have no intention of burning my pants and shorts, I have not worn them in several months. Last September 6th we embarked on a cross-country road trip. I started out knowing I would do the long drives in a kilt because of the obvious comfort factor. I had packed two kilts, two pair of shorts and one pair of jeans. As it turned out, I only wore shorts for a part of one day on our 23-day journey. I haven't looked back - but on the way back we happened upon a Got Kilt store at the Mall of America - and my wife bought me a new utility kilt.

Our next trip in mid-October was to Maine. We were gone for ten days and I wore short for a portion of one day (only). On that one day we went for a sightseeing flight in a friend's small airplane. On the way home from that trip we stopped at Rocky's USA Kilts store in Pennsylvania - and my wife had me order two casual kilts in tartans that she really liked. Happy me, right?

I am now wearing a kilt - mostly casual and/or utility - nearly ALL of the time.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Couper View Post
    I have not worn them in several months.

I am now wearing a kilt - mostly casual and/or utility - nearly ALL of the time.
    Thank you for the response. Did a switch flip one day, was it a gradual increase in the wearing of kilts, or something in between?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m yet to get a kilt that fits me well but just like any of my outfits it will be something I’d wear when i feel like I’m in the mood, definitely around the times of St. Patrick’s day and St. Andrew’s day, but really whenever I feel like wearing a kilt, just like how I wear my sailor outfit to the seaside.

Burning my pants? Not anytime soon, to me kilts are like helicopters are to fixed wing pilots, something fun and different that achieves the same goal but for some applications is no alternative, think cars vs motorcycles too.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AmateurKiltsmen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    Did a switch flip one day, was it a gradual increase in the wearing of kilts, or something in between?
    It was that first long road trip. I knew I would enjoy the comfort of a kilt for long stretches on the road. In 23 days I drove 6,457 miles - so I wore a kilt every day. After three weeks I just got used to putting on a kilt every morning. Now I still put one on every morning. My wife is on board and, in fact, bought my last five kilts. Last week I showed her an Irish National Sport Kilt - for which I had received a 10% discount code. She said, "I like that color and you need something like that for next St. Patrick's Day. Here's my card - go ahead and order it."

Back in February, we visited St. Augustine, Florida (a side trip from nine weeks of "snowbirding" in Myrtle Beach, SC). I walked around sightseeing and shopping for two days in 81 degree (f) weather wearing a USA Kilts casual (American Heritage tartan) and flip flops. Doesn't get more comfortable than that.

Hey, why not?

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Couper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you mean trousers? I have never been a full time kilt wearer, more of a regular kilt wearer in Scotland and a very occasional kilt wearer elsewhere. Frankly, I have never felt the need to rid myself of trousers as they do have their uses, particularly on the farm, with lots of horse power and whirling parts of machinery, deer stalking out on the hill and amongst the tick ridden undergrowth the kilt is not a good idea either. Have you ever tried to put on a pair of trouser waders(chest waders) when wearing the kilt? Forget it! Also, I have never ever felt the real need to generally wear the kilt outwith Scotland.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th March 24 at 04:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.