X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making "A Leg" at Church

In Christian liturgical worship, a man wearing a kilt will sometimes make a half-kneeling bow or a bow with one knee bent. This is called "making a leg". It is preferable to a full bow from the waist, because of greater modesty. We all know that God cannot be scandalized, but our fellow parishioners can be.

Can anyone point me to an illustration of "making a leg"?

Thank you.
    Last edited by room2ndfloor; 14th May 24 at 06:18 PM.
    Ruadh gu brath!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No illuistration, but it’s traditionally the right knee that goes down, and should touch the floor if you can.

Technically known as ‘genuiflecting’ it is done facing the altar before entering or leaving a pew, or turning aside from, or passing the altar.

Works well in a kilt or skirt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Father Bill says genuflection is done in church when entering or exiting a pew.
    It is also what a man does when proposing.

And what footballers call "Take a knee".

And as a resting position in the military.

And of course if you ever get knighted they give you a little stool. Heaven forbid that you get your knee dirty.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 15th May 24 at 12:12 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly

I really appreciate all the photos from Steve Ashton. Obviously, he did some research. I'm an Army brat, so I know the military rest position, and Sean Connery is always a welcome sight.

Thank you, Fr. Bill, for giving the Latin "genuflect", which means to bend the knee.

I am not referring to a position where both knees are bent, but one where just one knee is bent. Typically, this position is used at the moment of communion, by a person who is taller than the celebrant. it is also used when venerating an icon. It looks like something out of Knights of the Round Table.

BTW, we are Orthodox Christians.

Thanks to all. I'm still open to more comments.
    Ruadh gu brath!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many denominations, one kneels on both knees to receive the Eucharist, regardless of height. I've never seen anyone genuflect for the Eucharist.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    In many denominations, one kneels on both knees to receive the Eucharist, regardless of height. I've never seen anyone genuflect for the Eucharist.
    Which is why I did not use the term "genuflect". In Orthodox worship, everyone capable of standing, stands at the reception of the Eucharist. Parents or Godparents sometimes lift smaller children so that they are at the level of the celebrant.

My purpose in asking the question was to inform young men at my parish. Many have expressed a desire to wear the kilt.

I appreciate the polite tone of the conversation.
    Ruadh gu brath!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by room2ndfloor View Post
    I appreciate the polite tone of the conversation.
    ...which is what you get at XMarks - just information and opinion, not a lot of negative emotion!

In the Roman and Anglican churches communicants have the choice of standing or kneeling. I can't speak for Protestant churches where the Eucharist is less common anyway.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like so?

Last edited by MacKenzie; 15th May 24 at 03:38 PM.
    Tulach Ard

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...which is what you get at XMarks - just information and opinion, not a lot of negative emotion!

In the Roman and Anglican churches communicants have the choice of standing or kneeling. I can't speak for Protestant churches where the Eucharist is less common anyway.
    In the Church of Ireland (Anglican) we would generally sit to pray and kneel to receive communion where able or stand if not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Like so?

Yes, that is it for the legs. Orthodox Christians also cross the arms in front of the body in a position of supplication.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.
    Ruadh gu brath!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast