X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hose for warmth in May!

    Each year when the apple trees blossom, I put away my winter clothes, including the longest and heaviest kilts as the Summer - usually - has arrived.
    Some years the weather is blustery so I wear lightweight leggings with my shorter kilts.

    This year, however, the apple blossom was no sooner well blown than it was blasted with hail and wind, there are reports of snow and I am wearing proper kilt hose, woolly with ribs as well as a thick jersey so as to keep warm.
    Even so I keep nudging the thermostat on the heating a little higher.

    I have plants waiting to go out in the garden but dare not even risk them in the greenhouse - and the ones already outside were wilting in the drought conditions so I was watering in April.

    Climate change, yes - more impending ice age than global warming though.

    Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    6th July 07
    Location
    The Highlands,Scotland.
    Posts
    14,553
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely Anne you must have heard the country saying, from Yorkshire originally I believe-------well at least I heard it in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire oft times over the years-----------

    "Never cast your clout(coat/warm clothing) until May is out"

    Yet again these old country sayings have much wisdom to offer, it seems.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th May 21 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot a County.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

  4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    6th August 18
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Surely Anne you must have heard the country saying-------well at least I heard it in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Herefordshire oft times over the years-----------

    "Never cast your clout(coat/warm clothing) until May is out"

    Yet again these old country sayings have much wisdom to offer, it seems.
    Anne and Jock - it's the same on the other side of the Atlantic. We're in the Midwest, USA, right by the Great Lakes. It's not been above 5C (41F) yet this May. We've had two sets of tomato plants die from the cold so far. I don't think I've ever worn a jacket in May before around here, save for the odd freak winter storm but that generally only lasts a few hours, then it's back to 21C (70F).
    Last edited by imbrius; 10th May 21 at 06:42 AM.

  6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather keeps teasing us with a little warmth, only for the air to turn cold again. We have had wind, hail and rain fit for the depths of winter.
    I am thinking of starting another pair of woolly hose and putting the flimsier kilts back on the 'out of season' rail.

    In a few days there is to be a longsword practice in full kit - as we can't meet indoors yet and I am just wondering if I can get away with (imitation) fur lined black cloak in order to fend off pneumonia.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  8. #5
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longsword practice tonight - plus sword and buckler.

    At last the temperature is rising, I was quite warm without an extra layer, just the usual black head to foot. The ankle length kilt is not exactly traditional wear, but it keeps the draughts out. However - rain poured down almost the whole time.

    Fortunately the pub has set up plastic roofs against the building and so some shelter was available.

    The last time I was out of the gate for a non essential reason was just under 14 months ago. These are strange times.

    Anne the Pleater.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    12th December 10
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post

    This year, however, the apple blossom was no sooner well blown than it was blasted with hail and wind, there are reports of snow and I am wearing proper kilt hose,

    Anne the Pleater
    Late to the party Anne, sorry. A product I didn't believe in until I tried some are liner socks. They are thin socks in a wool/ spandex blend that go on my feet before the expedition weight wool outer socks. Unbelievable difference in foot warmth. Like double.

    A liner sock with a high wool content and low spandex is going to be warmer, but more sensitive to getting lacerated by toenails. A liner sock higher in spandex with less wool will be more durable against toenails but not as warm. Either way, a liner sock will trap a layer of air against the skin of the foot and calf, rapidly warmed by body heat, inside the heavy weight wool outer sock. At -30d Farenheit and colder I wouldn't go outdoors without liner socks on a bet.

    I am quite foggy on UK terminology, but if you own a pair of knee high hose or nylons we call them in the US, the same stuff panty hose for ladies are made from, try those under your wool socks.

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AKScott For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKScott View Post
    Late to the party Anne, sorry. A product I didn't believe in until I tried some are liner socks. They are thin socks in a wool/ spandex blend that go on my feet before the expedition weight wool outer socks. Unbelievable difference in foot warmth. Like double.

    A liner sock with a high wool content and low spandex is going to be warmer, but more sensitive to getting lacerated by toenails. A liner sock higher in spandex with less wool will be more durable against toenails but not as warm. Either way, a liner sock will trap a layer of air against the skin of the foot and calf, rapidly warmed by body heat, inside the heavy weight wool outer sock. At -30d Farenheit and colder I wouldn't go outdoors without liner socks on a bet.

    I am quite foggy on UK terminology, but if you own a pair of knee high hose or nylons we call them in the US, the same stuff panty hose for ladies are made from, try those under your wool socks.
    I am, unfortunately slightly allergic to man made fibres, hence my secret super power is to be able to make almost any item of clothing from things such as cotton, linen and wool. Liners of very fine cotton have been in constant production for quite a long time - they last quite a while, but take a long time to make.

    Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    6th August 18
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Longsword practice tonight - plus sword and buckler.

    At last the temperature is rising, I was quite warm without an extra layer, just the usual black head to foot. The ankle length kilt is not exactly traditional wear, but it keeps the draughts out. However - rain poured down almost the whole time.

    Fortunately the pub has set up plastic roofs against the building and so some shelter was available.

    The last time I was out of the gate for a non essential reason was just under 14 months ago. These are strange times.

    Anne the Pleater.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what school of longsword do you study? I study Italian style (Fiore and Vadi), along with all other arts falling under Fiore's system of "Armizare", excluding mounted combat, as I do not own a horse.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what school of longsword do you study? I study Italian style (Fiore and Vadi), along with all other arts falling under Fiore's system of "Armizare", excluding mounted combat, as I do not own a horse.
    Alas these days I am considered too fragile for anything exciting - I only get to dance.
    Les Bouffons - YouTube
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    3rd January 06
    Location
    Dorset, on the South coast of England
    Posts
    4,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, Saturday 12th June, was glorious.
    The sky was cloudless and a deep blue, the sun's heat made just bearable by a slight breeze, so on with the factor 50 and the kit, and out of the estate to meet up with the team.
    After the first flurry of activity and excitement the rest of the team went off to do a home visit - as numbers indoors are still limited I stayed behind to look after bags etc. and decided to take advantage of the situation - but how odd that things have become so heavy during lockdown.
    A series of simple moves resulted in me bouncing a sword off my skull and then off my collarbone.

    I used the excuse of a number of children appearing to prevent further embarrassment.

    This growing older business is a pain - as in lunging forwards and finding that your knees sound like castanets going down and twinge and complain on the way up again.
    Hoh hum. I suppose at 70 I shouldn't feel aggrieved.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

  17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0