X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s-l1600.jpg

This splendid vintage Paisley's sporran is currently on offer on eBay.co.uk - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176249261051

As you might expect, it has the quality and style of immediate post-war sporrans from this maker, and appears to be in remarkably good condition, and perhaps never used.

It is listed as buy-it-now at a bargain price if you think what the modern equivalent would cost you, so you will need to be quick if you want to make it yours.

Pictures of it being worn posted here in due course, please..!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I saw that, and I messaged the seller for dimensions.

Because without having such and just having to estimate from the structure of the sporran itself, I notice that the tab that's sewn onto the rear for the strap to go through seems a bit big in relation to the sporran back as a whole.

They would probably have a template for cutting those out, and perhaps would use the same template and tabs for both adult and youth sporrans.

I would have to look at the back of a known adult-size Paisleys sporran to make sure.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes I saw that, and I messaged the seller for dimensions.

Because without having such and just having to estimate from the structure of the sporran itself, I notice that the tab that's sewn onto the rear for the strap to go through seems a bit big in relation to the sporran back as a whole.

They would probably have a template for cutting those out, and perhaps would use the same template and tabs for both adult and youth sporrans.

I would have to look at the back of a known adult-size Paisleys sporran to make sure.

DSCF0120.jpg

Here's something to use for reference...

A Paisley's sporran from the same era as the eBay listing, alongside a more recent (1980s) Scott's sporran.

I have seen a few Paisley's sporrans with the strap-tab positioned too low in my opinion, as it encourages the sporran to pivot forward on the strap.

The Paisley's sporran in this picture is about 7 1/2" high.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Paisleys sporran is a beauty!

I heard back from the seller 18cm x 22cm (7 x 8 5/8 inches) which pretty much matches my various sporrans.

BTW from the shape of the leather tab (bang on) and from the shape of the body rear (more or less) it might have been made by Nicoll Brothers.

Here's a Nicoll Brothers (centre) Margaret Morrison (left) and WE Scott (right, their shortened tab introduced in 1953 due to the scored horizontal line across the back; your WE Scott has the original pointed tab)

Last edited by OC Richard; Yesterday at 02:13 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    s-l1600.jpg

This splendid vintage Paisley's sporran is currently on offer on eBay.co.uk - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176249261051

As you might expect, it has the quality and style of immediate post-war sporrans from this maker, and appears to be in remarkably good condition, and perhaps never used.

It is listed as buy-it-now at a bargain price if you think what the modern equivalent would cost you, so you will need to be quick if you want to make it yours.

Pictures of it being worn posted here in due course, please..!
    It has now been sold.

I really hope someone, in here, got it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    It has now been sold.

I really hope someone, in here, got it...

Me too..!

If the lucky buyer is on this forum, would you please share some 'sporran being worn in action' pictures..?

We'd all like to see them.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980