X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I knew this would get complex!
    For sure!

I hope that collage will help, a quick visual guide to the basics.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    For sure!

I hope that collage will help, a quick visual guide to the basics.
    Richard, your collection is always the 'go-to' resource for all of us. Thank you!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    No, they are different garments. As has been said, a piper's plaid is worn across the body and nowadays often has the folds sewn in. A drummer's plaid is ties at the waist under the doublet and fastened at the shoulder. Here you can see both

The drummer's plaid is refinement of the early 19th century style that replicated the old belted plaid but was a separate garment to the kilt. I think it was simply referred to a a plaid at the time but for clarity, is something I refer to as a Half Plaid. Here is the outfit worn by Donald Munro Ross c.1820 comprising a kilt, jacket and (half) plaid.

I stand corrected. Thank you.
    John

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laird's Plaid

Please pardon my ignorance, but what then is a "Laird's Plaid?"

Thanks in advance,
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedsawyer View Post

Thanks in advance,
    Big square folded into a strip laid loose over the left shoulder. Fair question!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedsawyer View Post

Thanks in advance,
    A Laird's plaid is synonymous with a day plaid, as far as I know. It's not a square. It's usually a double-width bolt of tartan (or two single-widths joined together down the middle), approximately 3 to 4 yards in length depending on the wearer's preference, and purled/fringed or plaited/braided at both ends. It is worn folded lengthwise several times so it's a long narrow strip of folded cloth, then folded in half widthwise and draped over the shoulder with fringed ends showing at the front. It's basically like carrying a folded blanket over your shoulder. It can, of course, be unfolded and worn in various other ways or used as a picnic blanket, a cloak for the wife, etc.

*edited to add: if you want to get really wild with a day/laird's plaid, wear it like the chap shown at right in this photo. He basically made an impromptu waistcoat out of it (but worn over his jacket). That's definitely one way to not have to hang on to it with your left arm like the other three in the photo are having to do!

Last edited by Tobus; 5th March 24 at 01:31 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day Plaid

My day plaid, black and white (Shepard's check) with variations towards the purled ends...

347232688_1203247883624963_3372222723070666413_n.jpg
    Last edited by Glen; 5th March 24 at 03:55 PM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Glen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a thread I posted a few years ago showing how I made my day/laird's plaid, with plenty of photos of the process as well as a couple of different ways to wear it:

https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...utorial-94843/

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    A Laird's plaid is synonymous with a day plaid, as far as I know. It's not a square. It's usually a double-width bolt of tartan (or two single-widths joined together down the middle), approximately 3 to 4 yards in length depending on the wearer's preference, and purled/fringed or plaited/braided at both ends. It is worn folded lengthwise several times so it's a long narrow strip of folded cloth, then folded in half widthwise and draped over the shoulder with fringed ends showing at the front. It's basically like carrying a folded blanket over your shoulder. It can, of course, be unfolded and worn in various other ways or used as a picnic blanket, a cloak for the wife, etc.

*edited to add: if you want to get really wild with a day/laird's plaid, wear it like the chap shown at right in this photo. He basically made an impromptu waistcoat out of it (but worn over his jacket). That's definitely one way to not have to hang on to it with your left arm like the other three in the photo are having to do!

The gent on the far right is wearing his plaid in a way I have only ever seen in illustrations or photos, or referred to by description - never in 'real life' in other words.

But it gives a good idea of how the plaid can be fixed securely about the body, with no trailing ends to catch on things.

And the chap in the centre seems to have his hooked around in right shoulder, around his back, and over his left shoulder to fall at the front - which I have seen and done on occasion.

I have detected at various times scorn for the plaid - what is it people have against them, even for others' use?
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 7th March 24 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    The gent on the far right is wearing his plaid in a way I have only ever seen in illustrations or photos, or referred to by description - never in 'real life' in other words.

But it gives a good idea of how the plaid can be fixed securely about the body, with no trailing ends to catch on things.

And the chap in the centre seems to have his hooked around in right shoulder, around his back, and over his left shoulder to fall at the front - which I have seen and done on occasion.

I have detected at various times scorn for the plaid - what is it people have against them, even for others' use?
    The example at right is certainly a unique way of wearing it, and I would imagine it requires some assistance to get it wrapped just so, in order to end up with a neat and tidy finish like he has (i.e. everything laid smoothly and evenly, without bunching up the jacket or twisting it round). It seems like a brilliant solution, especially for walking in a procession like this where the simple over-the-shoulder drape tends to constantly want to fall off.

The one in the middle with it behind his back and over both shoulders probably had the same issue and decided to wear it that way to free up his left hand for whatever it is he's carrying. What I like about this photo is that it shows such varied ways of wearing the day plaid, as well as the use of the day plaid as a civilian ceremonial bit of garb. I am assuming these are clan chiefs or dignitaries, and in my opinion what we see here was the height of Highland daywear.

As for the scorn some people have for the plaid, well, I suppose the primary complaint is that it's too costumey. I think it certainly has its place for something like a parade (as in the photo), or other ceremonial event where one is on display and expected to make a good showing. Additionally, I would not hesitate to wear mine when there's a threat of inclement weather, where I might need to put it to use for warmth or as an impromptu rain coat. But I do think it's a bit much for just regular old daywear. When there isn't a ceremonial or practical need, it comes off as a slightly anachronistic bit of costumery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast