X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt wearing in France

Hi are there any other kilt wearers living in France? It would be great to hear about your experiences. Or just tourists in France! Where have you worn your kilts and what sort of comments have you had? Do you wear the full outfit? Any of you wear your kilt in a more casual way, with teeshirt, jumper etc?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted, dual post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th March 24 at 04:21 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't live in France but do visit France. I have connections in France and on occasion, I have worn the kilt by special request of the bride or, the family for weddings and family events. Avranches and Normandy as a whole have have always been very respectful of the kilt and very refreshingly have not been bombarded with tartan and general kilt attire questions. To be clear, I would not in normal circumstances consider wearing the kilt outwith Scotland as I really dislike being the centre of attention and I still have my Grandfather's 80 year old advice ringing in my ears to this day. " Unless you are a soldier or a piper, never wear the kilt outwith Scotland."

Generally speaking, I have found that advice to be very sound.

I don't seem to be able to post pictures here these days, but if you would care to delve about in my past threads here, there are some kilted pictures of a couple of my kilted trips to France lurking somewhere.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th March 24 at 04:34 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a Kilt outside of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I don't live in France but do visit France. I have connections in France and on occasion, I have worn the kilt by special request of the bride or, the family for weddings and family events. Avranches and Normandy as a whole have have always been very respectful of the kilt and very refreshingly have not been bombarded with tartan and general kilt attire questions. To be clear, I would not in normal circumstances consider wearing the kilt outwith Scotland as I really dislike being the centre of attention and I still have my Grandfather's 80 year old advice ringing in my ears to this day. " Unless you are a soldier or a piper, never wear the kilt outwith Scotland."

Generally speaking, I have found that advice to be very sound.

I don't seem to be able to post pictures here these days, but if you would care to delve about in my past threads here, there are some kilted pictures of a couple of my kilted trips to France lurking somewhere.
    Sorry you don’t feel wearing a Kilt outside of Scotland is a good idea. I certainly don’t feel the centre of attention when wearing my kilt when walking or hiking. With my dad in the Black Watch I grew up with men wearing kilts and having lived and worked in Scotland I regard wearing a kilt as simply an ordinary mode of attire for any man. Plus it’s really comfortable and ideal for walking and hiking (in all weathers).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each to their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, dear! If I never wore a kilt except in Scotland, I would never wear a kilt!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mad Dawg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    Oh, dear! If I never wore a kilt except in Scotland, I would never wear a kilt!
    Please don’t take this personally. I would much prefer it if you and others only wore the kilt in Scotland and more to the point you wear it properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJohn View Post
    Hi are there any other kilt wearers living in France? It would be great to hear about your experiences. Or just tourists in France! Where have you worn your kilts and what sort of comments have you had? Do you wear the full outfit? Any of you wear your kilt in a more casual way, with teeshirt, jumper etc?
    Although I returned to live in Scotland recently, I had been resident in France for the previous two decades - and was a regular kilt-wearer while there.

And I was not the only one, by any means!

There are a number of Highland dress outfitters around the country, and some excellent kiltmakers, too. And the popularity of the Breton and Norman tartans shows just what a market ther is for Highland dress in France.

In addition, there are the various clan societies which meet regionally for different celebrations and events - from Burns' night dinners to international Rugby matches.

For an idea of how popular kilt-wearing and Scottish culture is in France, check out the week-long fetes ecossaise a Aubigny sur Nere.

As for how and what is worn, the mode is the same for everywhere else - everything from casual to 'full-fig' for the Caledonian Society's annual ball in Paris - depending on where you are and what you are doing.

You will find that the French know and recognise what the kilt is, and they are often eager to ask you about it.

But remember is an item of clothing - not a piece of fancy dress to be treated like fantasy re-enactment costume. Wear the kilt in place of trousers, with the same level of formality accordingly, and you will enjoy it.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Please don’t take this personally. I would much prefer it if you and others only wore the kilt in Scotland and more to the point you wear it properly.
    I won't take it personally as long as you don't take it personally when I tell you that what you prefer is of no concern to me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
    I won't take it personally as long as you don't take it personally when I tell you that what you prefer is of no concern to me.