X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brass cantle and goatskin with tan leather sporran

DSCF6743.jpg DSCF6753.jpg DSCF6756.jpg DSCF6760.jpg

The last piece of this rather nice goatskin has now been formed into a thoroughly practical sporran, that knocks smart daywear up a notch or two.

Now don't round on me..! Brown leather and brass can only ever do pre-six PM duty.

The cantle is non-lacquered brass, and shows great inclination to patinate - so a charming 'antique' look to the thing can only be avoided with regular polishing. I am quite keen to see how quickly and well it ages into its 'vintage' look.

The tan leather matches just about perfectly the natural mottling of the fur, which is mainly a kind of ivory tone off-white.

Do you like the tassels?

I have come up with a new tassel mounting method (I have never seen such used on a sporran, or any other kind of bag) that eliminates the need for the usual half-knot, and it does a perfect job. But the tassel ends are my own take on the 'Chinese lantern' or pannier form with the closed ends.

Lined in a dark-brown suede so as to be kind and non-scratch to delicate items like smart-phone screens.

All my sporrans go on sale at a heritage museum that is a registered Scottish charity - so not only do they do their bit to conserve their native culture, they also help keep alive a on-the-red-list dying Scottish craft. I like that.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post: