X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 114 of 114
  1. #111
    Join Date
    6th May 21
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think that you have the picture time line about right there OCR, perhaps the top left one might be a tad earlier, but not enough to matter. Going off topic a tad, it’s interesting and striking that the headwear is common in all the pictures. I see a “deer stalker” as an exception, in one of the pictures but generally the bonnet choice is a common choice for nearly all of those marching. These days I suspect the front rank of a similar march today would wear a bonnet and the following ranks, even in inclement weather would be mostly bare-headed.
    What's more, I'd wager that several of these are the exact same bonnets, photographed multiple times over many years. I recognize at least one of them, worn by the Duke of Argyll.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    10,687
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    What's more, I'd wager that several of these are the exact same bonnets, photographed multiple times over many years. I recognize at least one of them, worn by the Duke of Argyll.
    Right, it's the same event (Oban) and the same people can be traced from photo to photo in several cases.

    There's quite a time leap from the 1930s to the 1950s to the 1990s and then more recent.

    All told, nearly a century.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  3. #113
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    10,687
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

    It’s interesting and striking that the headwear is common in all the pictures. I see a “deer stalker” as an exception in one of the pictures but generally the bonnet choice is a common choice for nearly all of those marching. These days I suspect the front rank of a similar march today would wear a bonnet and the following ranks, even in inclement weather would be mostly bare-headed.
    About the bonnets, what I haven't posted are the photos from all those years of the crowd of competing solo pipers (as opposed to a Pipe Band) marching in, and those also exclusively show Balmoral bonnets up till around 1980 when a smattering of Glengarries start to appear.

    Also the pipers, like the Stewards, are all in tweed jackets till one piper appears in a black Argyll around 1980.

    It always strikes me as odd how few people in the piping community realise how recent the black Argyll + Glengarry + Ghillie kit is.

    (I guess it shows how old I am, to regard the 1980s as 'recent'!)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  5. #114
    Join Date
    6th May 21
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About the bonnets, what I haven't posted are the photos from all those years of the crowd of competing solo pipers (as opposed to a Pipe Band) marching in, and those also exclusively show Balmoral bonnets up till around 1980 when a smattering of Glengarries start to appear.

    Also the pipers, like the Stewards, are all in tweed jackets till one piper appears in a black Argyll around 1980.

    It always strikes me as odd how few people in the piping community realise how recent the black Argyll + Glengarry + Ghillie kit is.

    (I guess it shows how old I am, to regard the 1980s as 'recent'!)
    Here's an old video of the Glenfinnan Piping Competition that illustrates this well. There's also a decent survey of footwear here.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThNNSd3Xf5o

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0