X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graduating! Need some tips!

Hi gang, I'm graduating from college next month and I was thinking of wearing my kilt.
    The only thing that has me worried is that I only own a Buchanan Anincent. I got it because the colors just fit me the best, I'm not of that clan (Still on the hunt for my clan/at least regional custom. But of course I took my time to look into the history of clan Buchanan to be respectful). So anyway I'm wondering if it's ok to wear that one or if I should get a more general tartan like Pride of Scotland. Like I know everyone said it was chill when I first bought it but like this is a whole event so it feels different ya know?

Additionally, I was thinking of getting a kilt fly just to kind of lean into the celebration of it all. So yall can let me know if that's a good idea or no.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're wearing cap & gown no one will see your kilt, they'll just see your kilt hose & shoes, so why wear the kilt to the ceremony? For the same reason, I'd forego the plaid as well.

Now, for parties before and/or after the ceremony, sure, wear the kilt if you like. Buchanan Ancient is fine, if that's what you have and want to wear. It's a bit late now to be looking for a different tartan unless you went off-the-rack. I'd still forego the plaid.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out post 947 for an idea of what a kilt with a cap and gown looks like. https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...6/index95.html
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    If you're wearing cap & gown no one will see your kilt, they'll just see your kilt hose & shoes, so why wear the kilt to the ceremony? For the same reason, I'd forego the plaid as well.

Now, for parties before and/or after the ceremony, sure, wear the kilt if you like. Buchanan Ancient is fine, if that's what you have and want to wear. It's a bit late now to be looking for a different tartan unless you went off-the-rack. I'd still forego the plaid.
    Well, that's why I'm planning a month out so I have time for things to ship and all. And caps and gowns aren't required because that's just how art school is, so I'll be able to have everything on full display

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see why anyone would object to you wearing the Buchanan tartan, after all, it started life a a fancy/fashion tartan and later became a clan one.

As for a fly plaid, it's a nonsense piece of marketing flummery. Save your money and invest in something more worthwhile.

6. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree that a kilt would not be visible with a gown and hood. It wouldn't be visible from behind, but it should be in view from the front.

I graduated (many years ago) from the University of Glasgow (in Scotland), and the wearing of a kilt with academic dress was considered perfectly acceptable. The rules about dress were quite strict, and anything outlandish would have been ruled out of order

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking in saying the kilt wouldn't be seen with cap & gown is that in the handful of ceremonies I have been involved with over the years, the gown/robe is closed, so only a shirt collar and anything below the knee is seen.

I didn't walk the stage when I graduated university (I graduated in the summer and was fed up with the school by then anyway - long story), but I have attended and/or played pipes for a few other commencements. In every one, both the graduates and professors/deans robes were closed.

Congrats to the OP, and kilt on!
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most gowns on this side of the pond are closed. One of my undergraduate professors graduated from a UK uni and hers was open.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Glasgow Uni., gowns were open. There wasn't any means of fastening them. It obviously depends on the style of gown.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I graduated UBC over forty years ago, the gowns were open; at least, mine was.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast